Nigeria - Pay property Tax
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- In Person
- Carry the property tax invoice to the municipal office of your area
- Pay the amount in cash at the counter
- You will get an acknowledgement for your payment, keep it handy
- Using a browser, enter the URL of your district municipality.
- Select the area, assessment code, or property tax details as listed in the website and then proceed to make the payment based on the payment mode (Credit Card, Debit Card, Internet Banking).
- A receipt is generated for your payment, save it to your desktop or laptop for reference or you can print it
You will require the property tax invoice details to pay the amount
Office Locations & Contacts
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF WORKSAND HOUSING (F.M.W.&H.)
Radio House, Herbert Macaulay Way (South)
P.M.B. ill, Garki, Abuja (Opp. Int'l. Conference Centre)
Tel: 09-2341932; 2346073
- The Federal Inland Revenue Service
LAGOS ISLAND REGION
Lagos-Island Region Lagos:
- You can Visit the following Link for Offices located national wide.
You should be a Nigerian citizen and your age should be of 18 years.
The rates for these charges and fees vary from State to State in Nigeria.
The property tax amount is calculated based on the residential area. So, it varies from one property type to other.
Where the income earner is a corporation, the corporate tax rate in Nigeria is thirty per cent (30%) of the annual profit of the corporation; and where the income earner from a property transaction is an individual or a registered business enterprise or partnership, the graduated tax rate is twenty-four per cent (24%) for individuals earning N3,200,000 and above, per annum.
The property tax document is valid for one year only. Every year, you should renew it.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The processing time is immediate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can pay property tax in person and online.
- You should have valid property tax particulars.
The consent of the Governor of every State is therefore required for any transfer of any interest in any land (real property) situated in urban areas;
The property tax particular is required to pay the property tax.
Need for the Document
The owner of an apartment, land, building has to pay the property tax to the Government of Nigeria. The governing authority of the jurisdiction levies the tax to the owner in which the property is located.
There are various taxes that apply to real estate or real property transactions in Nigeria. The common public representation or perception that there are no real property or real estate taxes in Nigeria is not correct.
Information which might help
- Land in urban areas of every State in the Federation of Nigeria is vested in the State Governor of every State, by virtue of the provisions of the Land Use Act, CAP L-5, LFN 2004.
Some of the common taxes that apply to real property transactions in Nigeria, are the following:-
a) Companies Income Tax and Personal Income Tax.
b) Education Tax.
c) Value Added Tax.
d) Capital Gains Tax.
e) Stamp Duties Tax.
f) State Property Taxes Lagos State Land Use Charge Law and the Federal Capital Territory Property Tax. Companies Income Tax & Personal Income Tax
Any income with the resulting profit earned by any person from such income, whether such a person is a corporation or an individual, from a property transaction, is liable to the payment of tax.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- There is also a Bill before the Nigerian National Assembly seeking to establish a Property Tax for properties in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. This Law will, when passed, charge different rates of Property Tax on different commercial and non-commercial properties in the Federal Capital Territory.