Kerala - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Please visit Sub registrar office and obtain application form for registering your marriage. Link for Sub registration office in the state link
- Please fill the respective form as obtained from the office and it has to be duly signed by couple. Link for form : link Or link
- Please submit the form in the respective section officer along with required documents. Make sure that you are eligible for applying.
- As advised, please make the payment for completing the process. The application will then be processed internally. #Applicant will be notified to visit the SRO office to complete the process.
- On said date please go to the office along with witnesses as mentioned and sign before the registrar on the register.
- Applicant will be issued with the certificate on the same day evening.
Online process - Sevana
- Kerala Government has introduced online system for marriage registration procedure. Go to: link
- In the given page, please select the “registration of marriage” option provided at the bottom of the page under documents to reach next page.
- Here, select “Online Form Submission” option provided on the left side of the page to reach e-filing session on the next page.
- Select your district, Local body type and Local body from the drop down menu. Click on submit for list of certificate as per records year wise.
- Please login using the credentials and hit ”submit” to reach next page (if you are a new user, then hit on new user option above the login session to complete registration and then login)
- Applicant has to provide details required as per online form.
- Place of marriage with post office and pin code is compulsory in address fields. The custom followed for marriage can also be selected, details of documents for proof of custom followed, age etc may also be furnished .
- The photos of husband and wife should be scanned and uploaded (Crop to suit the size) by pressing the submit button.
- On successful submission, the Form can be generated for verification, later should be printed.
- Print out of this form should be taken and submitted in the concerned local body duly signed by all concerned.
- The husband and wife should file this application in-person along with required fee in the concerned local body where the marriage is solemnized.
- The web based data entry form can be done even before date of marriage but the application can be submitted only after solemnization of marriage.
- In case of delayed application, the registration officials will forward the application along with the Form II and other mandatory enclosures to the concerned Registrar General for condoning the delay.
- The concerned official of local body will download the application from web, incorporate inward number and fee payment details, verify the particulars with the documents furnished, make correction if necessary, take a print out in Form III, get it signed by husband and wife. This will complete the registration process as per rule applications given with in one year.
- For applications applied after one year of solemnization registration will be done only after getting the delay condoned from the authorized authority.
Online process – Registration department portal
- Kerala Government has introduced online system for marriage registration procedure. Go to: link
- In the given page, please select the “Special marriage” menu option at the top. Please select respective type and choose submit application option.
- In the given page select New application option and hit “proceed” to reach the next page to enter details.
- Please complete the page prompt and hit proceed to go to the next page and follow the screen prompt to get the printout of online processed application.
- Go to the respective office and process the request as per authorities advice to get the registration certificate.
- Please obtain the applicable form directly from the office.
- Completely filled application form signed by both husband and wife.
- Address proof of current residing address which should be on Bride or Grooms name (Proof of Address- Voter ID/ *Ration Card/ Passport, Driving License ).
- 2 passport sized photographs.
- 2 Photos of Bride and Groom in marriage dress taken during marriage ritual which clearly show they are taking part in marriage ceremony.
- Separate Marriage Affidavits in prescribed format from Husband & Wife.
- Proof of Date of Birth of both husband and wife (Documents which serve as Proof of Age preferably 10th class mark sheet with date of birth).
- Aadhaar Card
- Marriage Invitation Card
- Three witnesses to certify your marriage.
- All documents must be self attested
- 2 affidavit that couple wish to marry each other willingly free from threats is required for marriage at court.
- NOTE: If no objection for the marriage is received within 30 days from the notice, marriage will be registered.
Office Locations & Contacts
INSPECTOR GENERAL OF REGISTRATION,
DEPARTMENT OF REGISTRATION KERALA,
- Eligibility age to get married is 21 for male and 18 for female.
- Marriages solemnized under any personal law can be registered.
- A marriage which has already been solemnized can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
- The Hindu Marriage Act is applicable in cases where both the husband and the wife are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, or in cases where they have converted into any of these religions.
- In case either the husband or the wife or both are not Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs, the marriage is registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954
- The charge will vary, if registered after two months of marriage date.
- Note: You cannot apply for marriage certificate if you have not attained the age limit as this will be treated as offence.
Authorities will provide fee details when you approach for the process
Marriage certificate shall be valid forever.
Documents to Use
For downloading forms: http://cr.lsgkerala.gov.in/
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
The entire process will take 20 - 45 Days from the date of application
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A marriage between any two persons may be solemnized provided the following conditions are satisfied, namely:
- Neither party has a spouse living
- Neither party is lunatic
- The male must have completed the age of twenty-one years and female the age of eighteen years.
- The persons seeking to marry must not be within the degrees of prohibited relationship.
- Name and address of bridegroom and bride,
- Signature of bride and bridegroom,
- Signature of 3 attesting witness present at the time of marriage along with their name and address.
- Joint photo of bride and bridegroom with signature over such photo
Need for the Document
Marriage certificate is a document which provides valuable evidence of marriage, social security, self-confidence particularly among married women. This procedure explains you the steps that are involved in getting your marriage registerted in Kerala.
Information which might help
Notice of Intended Marriages
- Both the parties to the marriage should give notice in writing in the prescribed form to the marriage officer of the district in which at least one of the parties to the marriage has been residing for a period of not less than thirty days immediately preceding the date on which such notice is given.
- A fee of Rs. 30/- has to be paid for publication of notice.
- Notice will be published in the office of the Marriage Officer of the district within whose jurisdiction each of the parties to the marriage is permanently residing.
- The notice may be presented before the marriage officers by both parties in person or by registered post. In the later case a fee of Rs. 30/- for notice charge should be sent by Money Order. The Performa for the notice is given separately.
Solemnization of marriage
- The marriage can be solemnized on expiry of 30 days after clearing objections if any filed. The validity for the notice is 3 months.
- Before the solemnization of marriage the parties and three witnesses in the presence of the marriage officer should sign declarations in the prescribed form.
- The marriage can be solemnized in any form, which the parties may choose to adopt. The marriages can be solemnized either with the office of the Marriage Officer or at such other place within a reasonable distance as the parties may desire.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- For obtaining a passport
- For applying visa in another country
- For claiming Bank deposits or Life Insurance benefits when the depositee or the Insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise.
For further information use the following link: http://keralaregistration.gov.in/
Following link has some information which can help : http://www.go.lsgkerala.gov.in/files/gz2008229_6397.pdf
- If you are getting married in accordance to the Hindu Marriage Act you can perform the rituals and then apply for registration of the marriage. The Hindu Marriage Act provides for registration of an already solemnized marriage. There is no need to get the wedding solemnized in the presence of a Registrar.
- If you are getting married in accordance to the Special Marriage Act the wedding is solemnized and registered by a Marriage Officer. The important thing in such a marriage is that a public notice must be given for 30 days. If there is an objection to the marriage in these 30 days, the Marriage Registrar will take necessary steps to redress the objection. He may accept or reject the marriage altogether based on his investigation.
Any marriage already celebrated can also be registered under the Special Marriage Act after giving a public notice of 30 days, subject to the above conditions.