Bulgaria - Obtain a Firearm Permit
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Persons wishing to obtain a permit to acquire, carry and use a firearm must first pass through a safe handling of firearms course (This requirement is not mandatory for current and former employees of the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Defense). Such courses are organized in the District Police Department at residence of individuals. For inclusion in this course citizens submitted to the Police Department:
- Certificate of conviction
- certificate and a medical certificate from the Psychiatric Clinic;
- document for paid fee - 112 lev implemented on account of the Police Department;
- 2 color photographs 3/4 cm
Upon completion of the course and if he passed the tests, to the applicant for gun ownership is issued a certificate. A citizen that holds such a certificate and wishes to acquire firearms submits at the office of Control of Hazardous Devices in Regional Police Department the required documents.
Within one month from the date of submission, the local police rules on the request of the individual. There are two possibilities:
- if the applicant meets all the requirements of the Control of Explosives, Firearms and Ammunitions receives permission - to acquire firearms valid for 3 months from date of issue
- If the applicant does not meet the legal requirements obtains written reasoned refusal. The denial may be appealed under the Administrative Procedure Act.
It is not possible to obtain a firearm permit online for now but Ministry of Interior already has a goal to start issuing firearm permits over the internet so people dont have to go around different institutions in order to obtain the necessary documents. The online service will become available after installing some electronic systems and databases that will enable staff to personally check on the names:
- whether the person has pending cases
- the individual meets the requirements
For foreigners wishing to take the KOS Police safety handling course, the cost will often be far higher than 112lv this can range from between 250lv to 750lv. Foreigners will often also find it very difficult to find places on any of these courses. A further consideration is that all lessons and exams are ONLY written in the Bulgarian language, Almost no course facilities are available in other languages! As a result, you must be well versed in all aspects of the Bulgarian language.
- Document from a psychiatrist showing that the applicant is in good mental health
- A proof that the person was not treated for addiction to drugs and alcohol
- certificate of conviction
- document from the National Investigation Service, certifying that against the person is not instituted criminal proceedings for a crime of general nature
- certificate of course completion
- application form
- Residency card
- Criminal record check
- Letter from psychiatrist
- Police safety handling course
- Gun club membership and card
- Gun club year plan
- Two passport photos
- No pending prosecution ticket from court
- Basic certificate of education, must be translated by Government approved translator if not from Bulgaria
- Completed application form at local KOS police station with all the above.
You also need to consider Ammunition is also tightly controlled. You cannot just buy ammo from shops, this also needs to be agreed prior to be considered.
Office Locations & Contacts
Some of the addresses and contact information of the offices of Control of Hazardous Devices can be found in the links below:
Of course, the first thing you need to be able to acquire weapons permit is to be over 18 years old. The applicant should not be convicted of any crime and must have the relevant documents for that. No permits are issued to people who in the last three years were fined more than 3 times for public disorder conducts and to those with imposed measures against domestic violence.
- Document from a psychiatrist-costs about 30lv
- safe handling of firearms course-112lv Other nationalities, Non Bulgarians, may find cost of course varying between 250lv to 750lv
- document for paid state fee for the permit itself-4-5lv
- document from the National Investigation Service-5lv
The validity of the permit is three years from the date of issue, and for current and former employees of the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Defense - 5 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
A permit to carry and use weapons is issued within one month from the submission of the required documents.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
- Applicants for a gun owners license in Bulgaria are required to prove genuine reason to possess a firearm, for example, self-defense, hunting, sporting, cultural purposes.
- An applicant for a firearm license in Bulgaria must pass a background check which considers criminal, mental and substance abuse records.
Need for the Document
In Bulgaria, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law. Only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition.
Information which might help
- Citizens who have acquired the right to carry and use firearms are required to protect it against theft and loss .They must restrict access to it to others, and in handling the gun to take measures to prevent accidents.
- A citizen who received permission to acquire a firearm may purchase this within 3 months of receipt of the permit.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Hunting and fishing are highly regulated in Bulgaria in terms of species that may be hunted and the requirements for those wishing to hunt or fish. In order to hunt in Bulgaria you will need a firearm permit.
More information which might help people.