Wales - Change the Address on Your Driving Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Apply for the procedure online for free. You will need your Government Gateway ID for this. If you dont have one, or need to re-register, youll get an ID as part of your application.
Click the link to apply online : LINK
- You can drive while waiting for your new licence.
- If youre moving abroad, you cant register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.
Photocard driving licence:
- Fill in the changes section on your paper counterpart, sign and date it.
- Then send both your photocard driving licence and the paper counterpart to:
Paper driving licence:
Send the following to DVLA:
a completed form D1 Application for a driving licence for car and motorbike licences, or a completed form D2 Application for a lorry/bus licence for lorry and bus licences
your driving licence
original documents confirming your identity
a passport photograph
- have your driving licence (both parts if its a photocard licence)
- valid UK passport or other form of identity
- Photocard driving licence:
- Signed and dated request form
- Your photocard driving licence and the paper counterpart
- Paper driving licence:
- completed form D1 Application for a driving licence for car and motorbike licences, or a completed form D2 Application for a lorry/bus licence for lorry and bus licences
- your driving licence
- original documents confirming your identity
- a passport photograph
Office Locations & Contacts
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Driver licensing enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6801
Textphone: 18001 0300 123 1278
Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Fax: 0300 123 0784
Drivers Customer Services
Driver and vehicle enquiries for Welsh speakers
Telephone: 0300 790 6819
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
- be a resident of Great Britain
- you will need to provide addresses of where youve lived for the last 3 years
- you will also need to provide your National Insurance number if known
- have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
- not be disqualified from driving
Note: If you need to change your name at the same time, youll have to apply by post.
You can also change the address on your licence by post. The process is different if you have a photocard or paper driving licence.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Online: It will take about a week for DVLA to process your application and send your updated licence .
- By post: You should receive your updated driving licence within 3 weeks.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A driving license is an official document which states that a person may operate a motorized vehicle, such as a motorcycle, car, truck or a bus, on a public roadway. This document also serves as identification and proof of age.
DVLA must be notified of any changes with regards to the licence holder's address and apply those changes to the driver's license.
You may change the address on your driving licence online or by mail.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- DVLA form ordering service:
More information which might help people.