Wales - Apply for a Shotgun Certificate or Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Before applying for a Shotgun Certificate or Licence, it may be a good thing if you will seek advice from other firearm users or shooting organisations first. They may help you decide which type of certificate you need to apply for.
- You can obtain a Shotgun Certificate or Licence from your local police force's Firearms Licensing Unit.
- A link is provided under 'Office Locations & Contacts' which you can use to search for your local police force's website.
- Complete an application form. Application forms can be obtained from the front desk of any Police Station in the City or from the Licensing Office.
- Submit the completed form together with your photographs.
- Have 2 referees for a firearm certificate and 1 referee for shotgun certificate.
- Once a completed application has been received at the Firearms Licensing Department, your payment will be processed and the application forwarded to a Firearms Enquiry Officer for allocation.
- Before a certificate is issued to you, you must also prove to the chief officer of police that you’re eligible to have a firearms certificate and pose no danger to public safety or to the peace.
Both firearm and shotgun application requires the applicant to disclose previous convictions. It is an offence under the Firearms Act to make a false declaration when answering this question.
- Pay the fee for the certificate you are applying for (Check out the website of your local firearms licensing unit for the fees).
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
Firearms & Explosives Licensing Department
South Wales Police Headquarters,
Cowbridge Road, Bridgend, CF31 3SU
Telephone: 01656 869244
Following link provides Police Office Locations : UK police force websites
There is no minimum age to apply for a shot gun certificate.
Applicants for a firearm or shotgun certificate, must be able to show proof the he or she is a fit and proper person to be entrusted with firearms.
There are certain prohibitions from the possession of firearms (including shotguns, antique firearms and air weapons). Certain individuals are not only prohibited from possessing their own guns but are also prohibited, for example, to take part in clay pigeon shoots, or from possession of guns on a shooting range.
‘Prohibited Person’ in terms of possessing firearms
Persons who are sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three years or more are never allowed to possess firearms or ammunition, and persons who are sentenced to a term of imprisonment for three months or more but less than three years must not possess them until five years have passed since the date of release. The prohibition extends to all air weapons, air gun pellets and shot gun ammunition.
- Grant of a shot gun certificate: £79.50
- Renewal of a shot gun certificate: £49
- Replacement of a shot gun certificate: lost or destroyed £4
Renewal applications received after the certificate has expired will be charged the full grant fee
Amount may vary.
A certificate usually lasts 5 years from the date it was issued or renewed.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Shotgun certificate: It won’t be given or renewed if the chief officer of police has a reason that you shouldn’t be allowed to have a shotgun under the Firearms Act. Or if they don’t think you have a good reason to have, buy or acquire a shotgun.
European Firearms Pass
If you are planning to travel within Europe with your guns, you will need to obtain a European Firearms Pass. You can apply for this at the same time as your firearms certificate.
European firearms passes are usually valid for 5 years or the length of your firearm certificate - whichever is shorter.
You can renew a European firearms pass by applying to the chief officer of police in your local police force.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.