Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > Wales

Wales - Apply for Welsh Government Learning Grant

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Apply Online: This is the quickest and simplest way to apply for student finance

  1. Register with Student Finance Wales. When register youll be given a unique Customer Reference Number (CRN) you must make sure you take a note of this as youll need it for the duration of your study. Your CRN will remain the same and in use until your loan is repaid in full or written off.
  2. Log in into your student finance online account and submit your application.
  3. Submit all the necessary evidence.
  4. Sign and return the Student Finance Online Declaration Form that they will send to you by post.

When you register you will be asked to provide an email address. Student Finance Wales recommend you use your personal email address, not a university or college email address, as they may need to contact you outside of term-time. You can use your email address/CRN to log in and apply for support or check the progress of your application.

Paper Application: You may also contact Student Finance Wales 0300 200 4050 to request a copy of the latest form.

Receiving Your Grant

Welsh Government Learning Grant is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. This will only happen after youve registered on your course and your attendance has been confirmed by your university or college.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Identity evidence: You can confirm your identity by providing your passport number on your application. If you haven't included your passport details in your application youll need to send in a UK Passport Details Form. Student Finance Wales recommend that you send in your original passport as evidence of your identity, but you can choose to send in your Birth or Adoption Certificate instead. To know more
  • Additional requirement: Student Signature Form

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance Wales
Telephone 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693

Opening hours are:
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
Sunday Closed

PO Box 211
Llandudno Junction,
LL30 9FU




You can apply for a Welsh Government Learning Grant if your taxable household income is below 50,020. The amount you can get depends on your household income, and also when you started your course. Youll qualify for the maximum if your household income is 18,370 or less.

Before you receive any funding for your higher education course at university or college youll need to meet certain eligibility criteria.

Nationality and residency status:

You can apply if you meet ALL of the following three conditions:

  1. you're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay);
  2. you normally live in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course (usually before 1 September); and
  3. you've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course.

To those who do not meet all of the three conditions: you can still apply for support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:

  • you're an EU national, or family member of an EU national;
  • you're a refugee;
  • you're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum);
  • you're a migrant worker;
  • you're a child of a Swiss national; or
  • you're a child of a Turkish worker

You must also normally be living in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Your course:

  • First Degree eg Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)
  • Foundation Degree
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT)

Student Finance Wales does not fund postgraduate courses unless they lead to a qualification in Initial Teacher Training.

If you are planning on applying for a second undergraduate degree, funding is available for some courses, in subjects such as medicine or dentistry.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are available for certain postgraduate students that have a disability.

Your university or college: Applicants must be studying a designated course at a publicly-funded university or college, unless you are studying a specifically designated course at a private university or college.

Private universities and colleges can set their own tuition fee level and there is no restriction on the amount they can charge. A course at a private university or college needs to have been specifically designated by the Welsh Government in order to attract student support. You can apply to Student Finance Wales for a maximum Tuition Fee Loan of 6,000 but you wont be eligible for a Fee Grant.

Your age: To qualify for a Maintenance Loan you need to be under the age of 60 when you start your course.

There's no upper age limit to qualify for grants or a Tuition Fee Loan.

In case you are not sure if you are eligible to apply for a grant, you can get in touch with Student Finance Wales on 0300 200 4050.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]



New Students

Household Income: Welsh Government Learning Grant available

  • 18,370: 5,161
  • 20,000: 4,715
  • 25,000: 3,347
  • 26,500: 2,936
  • 30,000: 2,099
  • 34,000: 1,142
  • 40,000: 734
  • 45,000: 393
  • 50,020: 50
  • 50,753: 0

Continuing Students

Maximum Welsh Government Learning Grant continuing students can get if they started studying in these following academic years:

  • 2013/14: 5,161
  • 2012/13: 5,161
  • 2011/12: 5,780
  • 2010/11: 5,161

Since what you will be receiving is a grant, you are not required to pay it back unless you leave your course or theres a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Following is a procedure on how you can apply for an Assembly Learning Grant now called Welsh Government Learning Grant.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Student Finance Wales:



More information which might help people.