Wales - Apply for Provisional Driving Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Click the link to apply for your first provisional licence online : LINK
- You can apply by post by completing a D1 application form, which you can get from the DVLA form ordering service or from a Post Office.
- Include the following in your application:
original documents confirming your identity
a colour passport-style photograph
the fee of 43 by cheque or postal order payable to DVLA (do not send cash)
- Send your completed application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD.
- If youre including non-UK identity documents send your application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AF.
Note: Postal applications take up to 3 weeks.
- Identity documents
- UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
- Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
- a full valid current passport
- a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- a UK certificate of naturalisation
- for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
- recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
- UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
- Proof of evidence if you have changed name
Office Locations & Contacts
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Driver licensing enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6801
Textphone: 18001 0300 123 1278
Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Fax: 0300 123 0784
Drivers Customer Services
Driver and vehicle enquiries for Welsh speakers
Telephone: 0300 790 6819
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
- To apply for your provisional licence you must be a resident of Great Britain and meet the minimum age requirement.
- Meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- You must not be prevented from driving for any reason.
- You must have a valid UK passport or other form of identity.
- Have your National Insurance number if known.
- You must provide addresses where youve lived for the last 3 years.
You can apply for a provisional driving licence when youre 15 years and 9 months old.
You can start driving when youre:
- 17 if you want to drive a car
- 16 if you want to ride a moped or light quad bike
Your licence will say when you can start driving different vehicles.
- Online: 34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
- By post: 43 by cheque or postal order payable to DVLA (do not send cash)
A Driving Licence is valid for 10 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- DVLA aims to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It will take longer if your health or personal details have to be checked.
- You will need to wait for your new licence to arrive before driving. You should allow at least three weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can apply for your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's (DVLA) secure and easy to use online service. (Please note, you cannot use this service if you have previously had a provisional licence.)
- You can now apply for a provisional driving license online by using your government gateway ID. If you apply online, it means that you agree that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
- DVLA will have to confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA cant fully verify your identity, youll be told what to do at the end of the application.
- You can also apply for your provisional driving licence by completing the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches.
- Pay 34 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
Applying for provisional entitlement for larger vehicles, minibuses and buses:
- If you currently hold a valid full paper licence and want to add provisional entitlement to drive larger vehicles, minibuses and buses you must complete the application form D2 and the medical report form D4. These are available from the DVLA form ordering service.
- The D4 has to be completed by a doctor and you should ensure that all the relevant questions are completed. The doctor will normally charge you for completing the report and those registered for VAT are also required to charge an additional 20 per cent on top of their fee.
- It is also necessary to return original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and your current paper driving licence.
Before you start your application you will need the following items:
- Means of identification - Ideally this is in the form of a UK digital passport, meaning you only need to supply the nine digit code for the DVLA to confirm your identity. Otherwise there are many other forms of documentation that you could supply, these however will need sending along with your licence application: A non-digital Passport, EU Identity Card or UK certificate of naturalization. You may also send your birth certificate, although further proof of identity must be supplied alongside it, such as your National Insurance Card, P45, P60 or Pay Slip.
- Passport sized photograph - This must be a full colour, 45mm x 35mm photograph showing the full head. The criteria continue with a plain, evenly lit background with no hats, helmets or sunglasses obscuring the face. You can quickly generate a suitable photograph by using the photographic booths found in shopping and leisure areas. Remember you must also have your photograph signed by someone who has known you for at least two years (non-relative).
- A Black Pen - Unless you choose to fill out your application online, you must write your details on the application in full capitals with black ink.
- Payment for the fee
- Full Name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Country of birth
- Passport number
- Date of issue
- Contact Address
- Telephone number
- Email Address
Need for the Document
Before you can start practicing how to drive a car, moped or motorcycle you must first apply for a provisional driving licence. If you already hold a valid full driving licence and want to learn to drive larger vehicles, minibuses or buses you will need to apply for provisional entitlement for these vehicles.
Provisional Drivers Licence
- The provisional drivers licence gives you the permission to drive on the UK roads (excluding motorways) whilst under the supervision of your driving instructor or another driver over the age of 21 who has held a full drivers licence for a minimum of three years.
- The licence will be required when taking your theory, hazard perception and practical driving test and will also be needed on your first driving lesson.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- DVLA form ordering service
- Information on what vehicles you can drive and how old you must be to drive them can be found on The vehicles you can drive or ride and minimum ages.
- You must tell the DVLA if you have ever had, or currently suffer from, a medical condition that may affect your driving
- You must tell DVLA if you have convictions relating to drivers hours, roadworthiness or loading and if applying for a minibus or bus licence any other convictions not relating to driving.