Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > Wales

Wales - Apply for Parents Learning Allowance

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Applying for the grant

Apply for the grant by filling up an application form. If you indicate on your student finance application that you want to apply for the grant Student Finance Wales will send you a copy of the form.

Receiving the allowance

Parents Learning Allowance is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. This will only happen after youve registered on your course and your attendance has been confirmed by your university or college.


Required Documents[edit]

If you apply for a Parents' Learning Allowance you'll need to send in the following evidence -

  • Evidence of your child dependants, send in one of the following:
    • original Birth certificate for each child
    • original certificate of Naturalisation for each child
    • original Home Office documentation confirming your children's names and dates of birth.
  • Proof your children are dependent on you, send in one of the following:
    • your most recent Tax Credits or Universal Credit Award Notice naming all your children; or
    • all pages of your most recent Child Benefit letter naming all children.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance Wales
Telephone 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693

Opening hours are:
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
Sunday Closed

PO Box 211
Llandudno Junction,
LL30 9FU




You can only apply for PLA if you have one or more children that are financially dependent on you, regardless of their age.

Before you receive any funding for your higher education course at university or college youll need to meet certain eligibility criteria.

Nationality and residency status:

You can apply if you meet ALL of the following three conditions:

  1. you're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay);
  2. you normally live in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course (usually before 1 September); and
  3. you've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course.

To those who do not meet all of the three conditions: you can still apply for support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:

  • you're an EU national, or family member of an EU national;
  • you're a refugee;
  • you're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum);
  • you're a migrant worker;
  • you're a child of a Swiss national; or
  • you're a child of a Turkish worker

You must also normally be living in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Your course:

  • First Degree eg Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)
  • Foundation Degree
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT)

Student Finance Wales does not fund postgraduate courses unless they lead to a qualification in Initial Teacher Training.

If you are planning on applying for a second undergraduate degree, funding is available for some courses, in subjects such as medicine or dentistry.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are available for certain postgraduate students that have a disability.

Your university or college: Applicants must be studying a designated course at a publicly-funded university or college, unless you are studying a specifically designated course at a private university or college.

Private universities and colleges can set their own tuition fee level and there is no restriction on the amount they can charge. A course at a private university or college needs to have been specifically designated by the Welsh Government in order to attract student support. You can apply to Student Finance Wales for a maximum Tuition Fee Loan of 6,000 but you wont be eligible for a Fee Grant.

Your age: To qualify for a Maintenance Loan you need to be under the age of 60 when you start your course.

There's no upper age limit to qualify for grants or a Tuition Fee Loan.

In case you are not sure if you are eligible to apply for PLA, you can get in touch with Student Finance Wales on 0300 200 4050.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]



Parent's Learning Allowance (PLA): The maximum amount you can get for Parents Learning Allowance is 1,557 per year.

The amount of PLA you can get depends on your income, that of your partner, children and any other dependants.

You do not need to pay back a Parent's Learning Allowance, unless you leave your course, overestimate your financial commitments or theres a change in your circumstances which results in an overpayment.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Students who have children may get some financial help by applying for Parents Learning Allowance (PLA).

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Student Finance Wales:



More information which might help people.