Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > Wales

Wales - Apply for Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Complete the Disabled Students Allowances Application Form and submit it to Student Finance Wales.
  2. Once submitted, Student Finance Wales (SFW) will assess your application. If you qualify for DSAs they will send you a letter to let you know. Youll then need to arrange a needs assessment.
  3. Attend a needs assessment. After the needs assessment youll receive a report outlining the equipment youll need, how much it costs and where to get it.
  4. Student Finance Wales will send you a letter to let you know what DSAs you can get to help pay for any specialist equipment and other support recommended in your needs assessment report. They will also give you instructions for ordering equipment or arranging other support.

Receiving your allowance

DSAs will either be paid to you directly or to any equipment or service suppliers.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Identity evidence: You can confirm your identity by providing your passport number on your application. If you haven't included your passport details in your application youll need to send in a UK Passport Details Form. Student Finance Wales recommend that you send in your original passport as evidence of your identity, but you can choose to send in your Birth or Adoption Certificate instead. To know more
  • Additional requirement: Student Signature Form

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance Wales
Telephone 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693

Opening hours are:
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
Sunday Closed

PO Box 211
Llandudno Junction,
LL30 9FU




You can get DSAs if:

  • you qualify for student finance
  • you're an undergraduate or postgraduate (including distance learning students)
  • youre an Open University (OU) student
  • youre studying an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course
  • youre studying a first higher education course (HND or Dip HE)
  • your condition affects your ability to study and you can provide evidence of this.

Before you receive any funding for your higher education course at university or college youll need to meet certain eligibility criteria.

Nationality and residency status:

You can apply if you meet ALL of the following three conditions:

  1. you're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay);
  2. you normally live in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course (usually before 1 September); and
  3. you've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course.

To those who do not meet all of the three conditions: you can still apply for support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed:

  • you're an EU national, or family member of an EU national;
  • you're a refugee;
  • you're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum);
  • you're a migrant worker;
  • you're a child of a Swiss national; or
  • you're a child of a Turkish worker

You must also normally be living in Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Your course:

  • First Degree eg Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)
  • Foundation Degree
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT)

Student Finance Wales does not fund postgraduate courses unless they lead to a qualification in Initial Teacher Training.

If you are planning on applying for a second undergraduate degree, funding is available for some courses, in subjects such as medicine or dentistry.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are available for certain postgraduate students that have a disability.

Your university or college: Applicants must be studying a designated course at a publicly-funded university or college, unless you are studying a specifically designated course at a private university or college.

Private universities and colleges can set their own tuition fee level and there is no restriction on the amount they can charge. A course at a private university or college needs to have been specifically designated by the Welsh Government in order to attract student support. You can apply to Student Finance Wales for a maximum Tuition Fee Loan of 6,000 but you wont be eligible for a Fee Grant.

Your age: To qualify for a Maintenance Loan you need to be under the age of 60 when you start your course.

There's no upper age limit to qualify for grants or a Tuition Fee Loan.

In case you are not sure if you are eligible to apply for DSAs, you can get in touch with Student Finance Wales on 0300 200 4050.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

  • Guide about DSAs:
Extra help Disabled Students Allowances (PDF)
Disabled Students Allowances for continuing students 2014/15 (PDF)
  • To those who have completed, or are in the middle of completing their application for student finance and also want to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances, complete the shortened version of the DSA1 Form.
  • If you are only applying for the Disabled Students Allowances you should complete the full DSA1 Form.
  • See the Guide Notes to help you complete the DSA1 Application Form.
  • If you want to claim for expenses youve already paid out, fill in a 'Claim Form for Reimbursement of costs through Disabled Students' Allowances'.

DSAs Forms


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]



Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)

The amount of Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) you get does not depend on your income, or that of your parents or partner.

Maximum amount available:

  • Non-medical helper allowance: 21,181 per year
  • Specialist equipment allowance: 5,332 for the whole course
  • General allowance (for other disability-related expenditure): 1,785 per year
  • Disability-related travel allowance: Reasonable spending on additional travel costs incurred as a result of your condition.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) are additional funding available for students with disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. These funds are intended to help eligible students attend a higher education course.

Following is a procedure on how you can apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs).

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Student Finance Wales:



More information which might help people.