Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom

United Kingdom - Obtain a Police Clearance Certificate (Police Certificate)

From Wikiprocedure
Revision as of 19:37, 11 July 2019 by Shreesarika (talk | contribs) (Sample Documents)
Jump to: navigation, search



You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’. A subject access request has records from:

  • police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man
  • the British Transport Police

You can make a subject access request to the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) however, the process is different if you need to request records from Scotland.

Police certificates for visa applications

You can request a police certificate from ACRO. You may need a certificate if you’re applying for a visa or immigrating to some countries, including: Australia, Belgium, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, and the USA

It costs either:
  • £45 to get the certificate in 10 working days
  • £80 for a 2 day premium service

How to Request From Criminal Record Office (ACRO) through online.

  1. Use this link to submit your request: Online portal
  2. Click on apply and read the guidance for the application process as you scroll down
  3. Click on the check box to confirm you are eligible for the application and select start application to commence your application.
  4. Fill in the application form with the correct in formation and submit.

What happens once you submit your application?
You will be notified by email when ACRO receives your application. They will process your request and send your Police Certificate to the postal address shown on your application form and confirmed by your proofs of address and/or to the delivery address specified on your application. The Standard and Premium service fees include 1st class postage to a UK address or standard airmail to an overseas address. They cannot send Police Certificates by email.
NOTE If there is an issue with your application and they will have to contact you for further information, your application may be delayed.

How to Request From Criminal Record Office (ACRO) by Post
If you are unable to make your application through the online procedure, you can submit it through post, please follow this link to view how to make an application by post.
Once you have opened the link, select which type of application form you want to download i.e. in word or PDF.
After you have downloaded the form read through the guidance, terms and conditions carefully and fill the application form.
Mali your application and supporting to the address provided in the application document that you download or view office and contacts below.

Personal record requests from other organizations

You can also request your personal records from the following organizations:

Third party applications
ACRO can only supply personal data to the individual to whom it relates. If you are making an application on behalf of someone else (known as a 'third party application') you will need to provide a signed letter of authorisation from the person whose data is being requested, plus proofs of identity that show the true applicant's signature. Valid proofs include a passport, driving licence or identity card. You must have scanned copies of these documents saved to your computer or device to attach them when making the application via online
  (See information that might help below for application for check when you apply for role)


Required Documents

  • Proof of your current address.
  • A recent passport style colour photograph 
  • Colour copies of your passport(s) / travel document / official photographic identity document 
  • Any additional documents relevant to your application. Examples include: Power of Attorney, authorization documents, signed letter of authority, etc.
  • A valid email address.
  • Your address history 
  • Endorser details 
  • UK National Insurance and Driving License numbers (if applicable).

Office Locations & Contacts

Police Certificate, Subject Access or International Child Protection Certificate enquiries

Contact the Police

Embassies and Consulates

Application by post should be sent to this address
Please send your application and supporting documents to the appropriate address stated below:

Address for Premium Service:
ACRO (P) PO Box 660
Fareham Hampshire
PO14 9LN (UK)

Address for Standard Service:
ACRO PO Box 481
Fareham Hampshire
PO14 9FS (UK)

Address for Courier Delivery:
ACRO c/o CitySprint
Unit 2, Solent Estate
Shamblehurst Lane Hedge End
SO30 2FX (UK)




There are two service options available for your Police Certificate:

  • Standard service - £45.00 - 10 working days to process (Saturday, Sunday and UK bank holidays are not working days).
The day the application is received and the day the certificate is sent out is not included in the 10 processing days. Please also allow reasonable time for delivery of the certificate. 
  • Premium service - £80.00 - 2 working days to process (Saturday, Sunday and UK bank holidays are not working days).
The day the application is received and the day the certificate is sent out is not included in the 10 processing days. Please also allow reasonable time for delivery of the certificate.
  • Please visit payment guidance page for more information on paying by cheque, bank draft, postal orders or bank transfers.


  • There is no set period of time for which the Police Certificate is considered to be valid. The Police Certificate is only truly accurate on the date of issue. Embassies or High Commissions will usually require you to produce a Police Certificate which has been issued less than six (6) months before your visa interview.

Documents to Use

To help you complete your application form, please see an example of a completed form by following the link below.

Example Application Form


Sample Documents

 Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.

Processing Time

Standard Service : 10 working days
Premium Service  : 2 working days

Related Videos

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video



  • Immigrant visa applicants who have resided in the United Kingdom for six months or more since the age of sixteen are required to obtain a statement from the National Identification Service, Subject Access Office, Room 331, New Scotland Yard, Broadway, London SW1 OBG.
  • This statement will serve to advise the consular office whether or not any criminal conviction is held against the applicant. The National Identification Service does not accept applications from individual applicants; the request must be made through local police. By law, it can take up to 40 days to receive a response.
  • Persons resident outside the United Kingdom should write to the Data Processing Officer of the police authority where they last resided in the United Kingdom to obtain the appropriate application form. Residents of the United Kingdom should apply to their local police station where they may obtain the application form. When completing the application form, the applicable category is Prosecution/Conviction History. The local police (or data protection officer), will submit the application to the National Identification Service and the response to the application will be sent directly to the applicant.
  • Applicants are legally entitled to gain access to the information about themselves under Section 21 of the British Data Protection Act, 1984.

Required Information

  • name of the person (in case of change of name and surname and the original name or the original name or nickname if it is held),
  • date of birth,
  • identification number,
  • place and district of birth,
  • State of Birth
  • permanent address,
  • the alien's country of birth and,
  • citizenship,
  • sex,
  • name and surname of father
  • name and maiden name of mother.

Need for the Document

  • You will require this documents for immigration services and when you are seeking employment your employer may seek your criminal record.

Information which might help

Criminal record checks when you apply for a role

Who can check your criminal record?

Employers can check your criminal record no matter what role you apply for. This is called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
For certain roles an employer can request a more detailed DBS check, for example if you’ll be working with children or in healthcare.
Your employer can still request a basic check if they cannot get a more detailed check for your role.
Find out what type of DBS check your employer can request for your role.

There are different rules for getting a criminal record check in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Types of check
The types of DBS check are:

  • a basic check, which shows unspent convictions and conditional cautions
  • a standard check, which shows any spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings
  • an enhanced check, which shows the same as a standard check plus any information held by local police that’s considered relevant to the role
  • an enhanced check with barred lists, which shows the same as an enhanced check plus whether you’re on the list of people barred from doing the role
  • Check your own record

Your employer can ask you to request your own basic check.
It costs £25. You can then show it to the person you’ll be working for.

If you’re self-employed

If you’ve lived abroad
The check will not cover any time you lived outside the UK. The person requesting the check may ask you:

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links


More information which might help people.