United Kingdom - Apply for Special Support Grant
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Application process varies for students applying from England (Student Finance England), Scotland (Students Awards Agency for Scotland), Wales (Student Finance Wales), or Northern Ireland (Student Finance Northern Ireland).
To those living in the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey) or Isle of Man, get in touch with the education authority.
To help you inquire about how you can apply for a Special Support Grant in your country you may use the contact information below.
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ
Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm
Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
The number you should call will depend on your course type or where you are studying. Contact numbers - details
Student Finance Wales
Telephone 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693
Opening hours are:
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
PO Box 211
Student Finance Northern Ireland
- Phone: 0300 100 0077
- Minicom: 0300 100 0625 You must have access to a Minicom device in order to use this service
Monday to Friday - 8.00 am to 8.00 pm
Saturday and Sunday - 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
Phone: 01534 449450
Fax: 01534 447420
Email: [email protected]
Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm
Philip Le Feuvre House
La Motte Street
PO BOX 32
St Peter Port
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 01481 733000
Fax: +44 714475
Isle of Man
Education and Children
Isle of Man
Telephone: +44 1624 685808 or +44 1624 693838
Instead of a Maintenance Grant you can get Special Support Grant if:
- Youre a single parent responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education.
- You have a partner who is also a full-time student and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education.
- You have a disability and qualify for the Disability Living Allowance, Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium.
- You qualify for housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.
- Youre deaf and qualify for Disabled Students Allowances.
- You have been treated as incapable of work for at least 28 weeks.
- You have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Youre waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time out from that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended.
- Youre aged 60 or over.
To apply for a Special Support Grant you must be a full-time UK student. Part-time and EU students cant apply.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Special Support Grant: The amount you will get from a Special Support Grant is the same as the Maintenance Grant, but it wont affect the amount of Maintenance Loan you can get. You may get the Special Support Grant if, for example, youre a lone parent or have certain disabilities.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
The Special Support Grant replaces the Maintenance Grant for full-time students in certain circumstances.
Following is a procedure on how you can apply for a Special Support Grant.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Student finance guides for 2015 to 2016:
More information which might help people.