United Arab Emirates - Convert or Exchange Foreign Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You have to take an eye test to prove that you are eligible to drive. This can be done at any hospital, clinic or optician.
- Provide them with 2 passport-sized photos and mention that it is for a driving license. Most opticians will not charge for the test, while there may be a small fee for others.
- Carry all documents mentioned above and go to Dubai Traffic Department Driving License Section in Al Ghusais from 7.30 am to 2.30 pm on a working day. Ladies can go to the Ladies Section, where the work is even quicker.
- Fill up application form provided in the office and submit all documents to the officer.
- Take signed documents from officer and pay Dh360 to the cashier
- Submit all documents at Data Entry Counter.
- Your name will be called out and your photograph taken.
- A few minutes later, you will receive your licence.
You could track the status of your application through the following website : Track Application Status
- Passport for residents (original & copy)
- Residence permit copy
- Current driving license (original and copy) - translation of driving license, if it's not in Arabic, but make sure with RTA
- Consulate letter (for Canadians)
- 1 passport photo
- Eye test certificate
- No-objection letter from your sponsor
Office Locations & Contacts
Address : General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police
Al Saada Street
Telephone : +971 2 446 1461 / Emergency: 999
Fax : +971 2 409 2441
Office hours: Sunday - Thursday: 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
Public working hours: Sunday - Thursday: 7:30 AM - 9:00 PM
Police Centres: 24 hours
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Dh360 for transfer fee.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
If you are a citizen of one of the below mentioned country and having current resident in UAE you will not have to take any test for converting or exchanging your driver license to UAE driver license.The countries from which citizens can transfer their driving licenses are given below:
Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States. (Please call RTA on 8009090 for any changes to this list)
Please note: Driving license holders of some countries in the above list will require translations or consulate letters. These countries include:
- Canada: A letter from the Canadian Consulate in Dubai to verify that the license is genuine is required, before transferring your license.
- Driving license holders from Greece, Canada, Cyprus, Poland, Turkey, Japan & South Korea will require a translation of their driving license from their respective consulates.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
This procedure provides you information about how to convert or exchange your foreign driver license into United Arab Emirates driver license.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help
More information which might help people.