Wikiprocedure > United Arab Emirates

United Arab Emirates - Change Your Name (Deed Poll)

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search



Steps for acquiring the service

  • Filling out the services form.
  • Signatures of the applicants and the witnesses.
  • Signature of Attestation Judge
  • Collecting Change of First Name Letters addressed to the General Directorate of Residence and Foreigners Affairs, Abu Dhabi Police General HQ, and one daily newspaper for the publishing of name change declaration.
  • After receiving the replies and the passing of 15 days following the publishing day, the attestation can be done
  • Collecting the application from the Archive
  • Obtaining a waiting ticket.
  • Approaching the authenticator to complete the transaction.
  • Judges Signature and seal on the declaration.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Submission of the applicant and witnesses Identity Cards or proof of identity for those who are not required to obtain Identity Card, and copies thereof.
  • Family book for U.A.E national.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

The Ministry of Justice - Abu Dhabi
Al Khubirah, Sector 93, Street 5
P.O. Box: 260
Call Center: 800 333 333
Tel: +971 2 6921000
Fax: +971 2 6810680
For Internal Calls:
Tel: +971 2 6921108
Tel: +971 2 6921023
The Ministry of Justice - Contacts



Requirements for acquiring the service

  • Presence of the applicant.
  • Bringing two competent witnesses.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



  • Only U.A.E nationals with passports issued from the Emirate of Abu Dhabi are entitled to this service and it is exclusive to the first name.
  • The guardian of minor children (under 11 years) can submit the application and there is no need for letters or publication in newspaper.
  • Should the appearing person be an agent to the applicant, an attested special power of attorney must be submitted.
  • To change Family or Tribe Name, applicant should go to the General Directorate of Residence and Foreigners Affairs Abu Dhabi.

Required Information[edit]

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence


Need for the Document[edit]

If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.

Information which might help[edit]

People choose to change their name for a variety of reasons. Maybe you just want to change the spelling of your name, you don't like the name your parents gave you, you want to get rid of your middle name, you want to remove any family associations, or maybe you just want a change. You can legally change your first name, middle name or surname, or any combination of those.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links[edit]

The UAE Government Official Portal

Useful Links

Change of First Name

Ministry of Interior

Ministry of Justice


How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name 'just because' requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.

To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you'd like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you'll then need to update your Social Security card, driver's license and passport.