United Arab Emirates - Apply for a Drivers License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
You are a United Arab Emirates citizen or resident. You hold an Emirates ID or diplomatic card embassy, consulate and international organisation as an official document instead of the Emirates ID. You did not hold a driving license before. You are over 18 years old. You can obtain a United Arab Emirates driving license by following:
- Prepare the required documents:
-Your photograph (passport size)
-Your passport (original + copy)
-Your Emirates ID or your Diplomatic card for embassy, consulate and international organisation as an official document instead of the Emirates ID. In this case, you must attach with the letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affaires valid for at least 6 months from the date of submission.
-A copy of your valid United Arab Emirates residency visa
-No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the sponsor except for the professions detail link and the diplomatic passport holders.
-Your valid eye test certificate (if applicable)
- Obtain a learning permit
Present the required documents at a suitable UAE RTA Driving Schools or Training Centers links: Galadari Motor Driving Centre ; Emirates Driving Institute ; Dubai Driving Center ; Belhasa Driving Center ;and Al Ahli Driving Center. Follow all of the officer’s guiding to open a driving file and get your eye test certificate (if applicable). This will enable you to participate in theoretical courses. Once the courses are taught – over a two-hour period – you sit a theoretical test to apply for a learning permit. Pay the applicable fee and obtain the learning permit if you pass.
After the learning permit is obtained, you must take practical lessons. The number of lessons is dependent on the driver’s capability but is generally 30 hours for complete beginners, 20 hours for intermediate learners or 10 hours for advanced students.
Once you are ready to take the practical test, administered by the UAE RTA Driving School or Training Center, your instructor will give you a ‘certificate of readiness’, which you must present to the UAE RTA Driving School or Training Center to book your practical test or raod test.
- Complete the road test and obtain driving license
On the date assigned, go with Passport, Driving file, 2 of your photos to attend UAE driving License road test. Go to RTA License Section as advised by your driving school. Fill up application form and submit applicable fees. When your name is called out, go along with the other three candidates and the RTA inspector to the designated car. You will be given just a few minutes to demonstrate your driving and anticipatory skills. If you fail, you will have to resgiter with your drivig school for at least seven more classes and get a new road-test date. As well as if you pass, collect the approval paper from your inspecter and to the Pass Counter. Submit along with suitable ID and the applicable fee. Collect your test file and submit to the Control Counter. After processing, pay the applicable fee and proceed to photo area. When your name is called out, have your photo taken. In a few minutes, you will receive your driving license.
- Your photograph (passport size)
- Your passport (original + copy)
- Your Emirates ID or your Diplomatic card for embassy, consulate and international organisation as an official document instead of the Emirates ID. In this case, you must attach with the letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affaires valid for at least 6 months from the date of submission.
- A copy of your valid United Arab Emirates residency visa
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the sponsor except for the professions Detail Link and the diplomatic passport holders.
- Your valid eye test certificate (if applicable)
Office Locations & Contacts
Roads & Transport Authority (RTA)
800 90 90
Overseas callers 24/7: +971 4 605 1414
Tel: +971 4 284 4444
Fax +971 4 206 5555
E-mail: [email protected]
Roads & Transport Authority
P. O. Box: 118899
Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- The customer must be of at least minimum legal age to apply for a driving permit:
- Motorcycles: 17 years old
- Light vehicles: 17 years and 6 months old to open a file; however, the license will be issued when the customer turns 18 years old. The vehicle's weight while empty should not exceed 2.5 tonnes, and the number of passengers should not exceed 14 without the driver for the passengers transportation vehicles. For the goods transport vehicles, cargo must not exceed 2.5 tonnes.
- Heavy vehicles: 20 years old
- Light and heavy buses: 21 years old. The passengers number of the bus must not exceed 26 without the driver
- Tractor or light mechanical machine: 20 years old. The weight of the tractor or mechanical machine while empty must not exceed 7.5 tonnes
- The customer must be medically fit
- 100 AED for issuing a new driving license if the customer is younger than 21-years-old
- 300 AED for issuing a new driving license if the customer is older than 21-years-old
- +20 AED knowledge and innovation fees.
Emirati and GCC nationals and UAE citizens:
- Age above 21 years old: 2 years
- Age below 21 years old: 1 year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.