United Arab Emirates - Apply for a Drivers License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To apply for a driver's license in United Arab Emirates, you may submit your application at the driving institutes or registration offices licensed by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA). Application must be submitted in person.
- The driving institute will open a traffic file. You will be asked to undergo an eye test at one of the authorised optical shops by RTA. The customer must have the results of the eye test according to the requested category:
- For drivers of heavy vehicles and machines: 6/6 for both eyes
- For drivers of light vehicles and motorcycles:
One eye 6/18 -- Second eye 6/18
One eye 6/12 -- Second eye 6/24
One eye 6/9 -- Second eye 6/36 or 6/60
One eye 6/6 -- Second eye blind
- For drivers of heavy vehicles:
One eye 6/6-- Second eye 6/18 or 6/12 or 6/9
One eye 6/9 -- Second eye 6/9
- For drivers of light and heavy buses, tractors and mechanical machines: 6/6 with or without spectacles
- For colourblind customers: The customer can apply for the license on the condition that he passes the eye test
- You will receive a permit to start the driving lessons.
- After passing the tests, you will receive a license from the driving institute. In case you fail, you must take 8 new lessons and book another appointment for the final driving test.
- Emirates ID
Office Locations & Contacts
Roads & Transport Authority (RTA)
800 90 90
Overseas callers 24/7: +971 4 605 1414
Tel: +971 4 284 4444
Fax +971 4 206 5555
E-mail: [email protected]
Roads & Transport Authority
P. O. Box: 118899
Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- The customer must be of at least minimum legal age to apply for a driving permit:
- Motorcycles: 17 years old
- Light vehicles: 17 years and 6 months old to open a file; however, the license will be issued when the customer turns 18 years old. The vehicle's weight while empty should not exceed 2.5 tonnes, and the number of passengers should not exceed 14 without the driver for the passengers transportation vehicles. For the goods transport vehicles, cargo must not exceed 2.5 tonnes.
- Heavy vehicles: 20 years old
- Light and heavy buses: 21 years old. The passengers number of the bus must not exceed 26 without the driver
- Tractor or light mechanical machine: 20 years old. The weight of the tractor or mechanical machine while empty must not exceed 7.5 tonnes
- The customer must be medically fit
- 100 AED for issuing a new driving license if the customer is younger than 21-years-old
- 300 AED for issuing a new driving license if the customer is older than 21-years-old
- +20 AED knowledge and innovation fees.
Emirati and GCC nationals and UAE citizens:
- Age above 21 years old: 2 years
- Age below 21 years old: 1 year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
Please provide other instructions related to the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure. e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.