Turks and Caicos Islands - Obtain a Drivers License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- To apply for a license you will need to acquire a Learner's Permit at the Turks and Caicos Road Safety Department (For those who already have a driver's license from another country, a learner's permit is not required).
- Purchase a Learner's Permit, and submit a photocopy of your valid identification.
- The Department will grant a learner's permit along with a study booklet.
- For the next 2 weeks, the applicant is expected to practice driving in a registered car, along with a licensed driver. The car must have the learner's permit "L" on the back of the vehicle largely displayed so that other drivers may take caution.
- During this time you will also need to study for a written and signs test, using your license study booklet as a guide.
- After the two weeks are completed, you are now qualified to apply for a Turks and Caicos License. To obtain a TCI driver's license you will need to pass 3 tests: road sign test, a written road rules test and an actual physical driving test. You must pass all three tests.
- Obtain an application form from the TCI Road Safety Department.
- Complete the form and submit it along with all other required documents.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Learner's Permit or a driver's license from another country
- Completed application form
- Valid passport/birth certificate, have it photocopied
Office Locations & Contacts
MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND HOME AFFAIRS DEPARTMENTS CONTACTS
Road Safety - Grand Turk Fax: 946-2930
Road Safety - Providenciales Fax: 941-8562 Direct Line: 946-4828
Road Safety - South Caicos Fax: 946-3781 Direct Line: 946-3781
Road Safety - North Caicos Fax: 946-7746 Direct Line: 946-7746
- Applicant must be at least 17 years of age.
- Must be in possession of a valid passport/birth certificate.
- Must provide copy of passport/birth certificate.
- Copy of work permit or copy of contract.
- Persons under the age of 18 years must provide proof of endorsement on their parents/guardians work permit.
Learner's Permit: $30.00
Fees and Times for TCI Driver's License Test
- Wednesday: Sign Test - $20.00
- Thursday: Written Test - $20.00
- Friday: Driving Test - $30.00
Driver's licenses are issued for a period of 4 years expiring on the individual's birthday of the fourth year after being issued.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
First time applicants must first acquire a Learner's Permit at the Turks and Caicos Road Safety Department (For those who already have a driver's license from another country, a learner's permit is not required).
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
A driver's license is a legal document issued by the state. It expresses a persons capability to operate a motorized vehicle, such as a motorcycle, car, truck or a bus, on a public roadway. Laws relating to the issuance of licenses vary between jurisdictions.
Following are procedures on how you can obtain a driver's license in Turks and Caicos Islands.
Information which might help
Visitors from the British Commonwealth Countries, The United States of America, Canada and holders of International drivers license are permitted to drive for 30 days on their respective license.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- The Official Website of the Turks & Caicos Islands:
- TCI Yellow Pages:
- Official Tourism Website Of The Turks & Caicos Islands:
More information which might help people.