Sierra Leone - Apply for International Driver License (IDL)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Go to Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority office to inquire about the driver license application.
- Obtain a driver license application form and fill it out.
- Submit relevant documents with the completed form.
- Pay the fees at the finance department.
- After verification and approval, the International Driver License will be issued to you.
All documents must be original.
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Proof of address (utility bill, rental agreements)
Office Locations & Contacts
Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority
Kissy Road, Freetown
Tel: +232 76 954 803
Toll Free: 2244 (Emergency/Enquiries)
Mondays until Fridays
8:00am - 5:30pm
- The applicant must be at least 16 years of age.
- All new applicants must complete the required written, vision and skills test administered by the Sierra Leone State Police before obtaining a license.
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the driver license application form.
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a School Compliance Verification form from the student's school district must be presented.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Sierra Leone's International Driver License is compulsory for one month to drive in Sierra Leone; after that term, Sierra Leone driver license is required.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- New drivers must pass a vision, written and skills test to be issued a driver license.
- No tests are required for persons transferring to Sierra Leone. with valid driving privileges, except persons transferring from foreign countries.
- No testing is required for persons suspended less than one year.
- Eye and written tests are required for drivers suspended for more than one year.
- Any driver suspended or expired for more than five (5) years will start as a new driver.
- All driver testing is performed by the Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority Officer on scheduled days at Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority office.
- Applicants full legal name.
- Applicants date of birth.
- Applicants Social Security number.
- Proof of the applicants Sierra Leone residency
Need for the Document
An International Driver License is an identity document that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country that recognizes IDLs.
Information which might help
An International driving license is compulsory for one month to drive in Sierra Leone; after that term Sierra Leone driver license is required. Driver licenses issued by other countries may be recognized for conversion into a Sierra Leone driver license.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.