Scotland - Renew your Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- By Online
- You can renew your driving licence online if you have a valid UK passport issued in the last 5 years by using your Government Gateway ID. If you dont have one or need to re-register, youll get an ID as part of your application. Go to this website to start your application: https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=FAP&_nfls=false.
- Applying at a Post Office
- Complete the Renewal Form D798.
- Enclose your photocard licence and paper counterpart if you have them.
- Pay the fee of 20 an an extra 4.50 fee to process your application (Post Office charge).
- Applying by Post
- Fill in the licence renewal form D798.
- Enclose a new passport type photo taken within the last month (dont sign the back of the photo), the photocard and paper counterpart of your current licence (if youve lost either youll have to tick the relevant box on the D798 form), a cheque or postal order for 20, payable to DVLA (no fee is needed if you have a medical short period licence or youre aged 70 or over).
- Send your application and fee (if needed) to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DH.
- You also need to include identity documents if you have changed your name.
- If you don't have the D798 reminder and you want to apply by post, you can also fill in form D1 Application for a driving licence, available from the DVLA form ordering service and selected Post Offices.
DVLA Form Ordering Services: https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx?ext=dg.
- Identity documents
- UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
- Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
- a full valid current passport
- a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- a UK certificate of naturalisation
- for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
- recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
- UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
- Proof of evidence if you have changed name
Office Locations & Contacts
- Driver Licensing Enquiries
- Telephone: 0300 790 6801
- Textphone: 0300 123 1278
- Fax: 0300 123 0784
- Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
- Saturday, 8am to 2pm
- Drivers Customer Services
- Correspondence Team
- SA6 7JL
- DVLA Offices
- You must be a resident of Great Britain and meet the minimum age requirement.
- You must also have sufficient eyesight.
- You must not be prevented from driving for any reason.
- You must have your driving licence for renewal (you must state the reason in your application if you don't have it).
- You must have a valid UK passport issued within the last 5 years.
- You must have your National Insurance number.
- You must provide addresses where you've lived for the last 3 years.
- You must pay 20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card.
Renewing an expired driving licence - 20
A Driving Licence is valid for 10 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- Your driving licence will be issued within 2 weeks.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years. A reminder will be send to you before your current licence expires. Your new licence will be valid from the date of your application is approved not from the expiry date of your current licence.
- You cant apply online if your name has changed or if you want to renew a 5-year bus or lorry licence.
- If you are aged 70 or over, there is a different service to be used for renewal.
- The photo and signature for your new driving licence will be gotten from your passport by DVLA. If this is not possible, or you dont want to use the photo on your passport, you wont be able to renew your licence online.
- When you apply online, it means you agree that the DVLA will check your personal data, including your National Insurance Number. DVLA will have to confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA cant fully verify your identity, then you'll be told what to do at the end of the application.
- Full Name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Country of birth
- Passport number
- Date of issue
- Contact Address
- Telephone number
- Email Address
Need for the Document
If your driving licence is about to expire or has expired, you must renew it in order to still be valid for use. This procedure will discuss on the process of renewing a driving licence in England.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.