Wikiprocedure > Scotland

Scotland - Register a Civil Partnership

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Obtain a Civil Partnership Notice from the registrar or through the National Records website. You can download the form here:
  2. Fill in the Civil Partnership Notice. (Both parties must fill in the notice form.)
  3. Submit the completed Civil Partnership Notice, along with the required documents and appropriate fee to the registrar of the district in which the civil partnership is to be registered.
  4. If the registrar is satisfied, he or she will prepare a Civil Partnership Schedule from the information you have given.
  5. The Civil Partnership Schedule must be signed by both parties, the registrar and by the two witnesses.
  6. After the civil partnership registration, you can obtain copies of the civil partnership registration certificate from the registrar on payment of the appropriate fee.


  • If you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA), and Switzerland (ex: Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States etc.) and you intend to visit Scotland to get married or to register a civil partnership, then you will need an entry clearance. The application form is available on the UK Border Agency website:
  • For any other questions, you can contact the UK Border Agency Immigration Enquiry Bureau (Tel no: 0870 606 7766 ).

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • your birth certificate
  • a decree of divorce or dissolution or annulment or a certified copy decree (if you have been married or registered under a civil partnership before)
  • death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner (if deceased)
  • if any of these documents is in another language, other than English, a certified translation in English must be provided
  • notice forms
  • any other documents as needed

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

General Registration Unit
National Records of Scotland
Room 39
New Register House
3 West Register Street
Telephone Number: 0131 314 4452

Directory of Registrars in Scotland:

Ads by Google


Any two persons, regardless of where they live, may register a civil partnership in Scotland, provided that:

  • both persons are at least 16 years of age
  • they are not related to one another in a way which would prevent their registering their civil partnership
  • each is unmarried or not already registered as a civil partner
  • they are not of the same sex
  • they are capable of understanding the nature of a civil partnership and of validly consenting to its formation.


  • For each person submitting a notice of civil partnership registration - 30
  • For registration of a civil partnership - 55
  • For each extract of the entry in the civil partnership register - 10
  • Total Statutory fees for two people submitting a notice, registering their civil partnership and have one extract of the entry - 125


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Civil Partnership Notice:

Form for Witness Details (if you have chosen your witness):

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


  • It is by law that both parties who want to register a civil partnership in Scotland must submit notice forms to the registrar of the district in which the civil partnership is to be registered. The notice forms should indicate their intention to register a civil partnership.
  • Notice forms can be obtained from any registrar of births, etc. in Scotland or from the National Records of Scotland website at
  • Notice must be given in a three-month period prior to the date of the intended civil partnership and not later than 15 days before that date.
  • In exceptional circumstances, the Registrar General can authorize a civil partnership to take place if 15 days' notice has not been given.
  • At least one of the partner would be asked to attend personally before the date of the civil partnership registration.
  • Every person giving notice is required to sign a declaration to the effect that the particulars and information given on the notice are correct.
  • Make advance arrangements with the registrar.
  • Let the registrar know if you have change of plans or decide to postpone your civil partnership registration.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 in the United Kingdom give same-sex couples most, but not all, of the rights and responsibilities of civil marriage.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Information Leaflet RCP1:
Civil Partnership Notice Form and Guidance Notes (Form CP10):

Ads by Google
Ads by Google


More information which might help people.