Scotland - How To Renew your Driving Licence at 70 plus
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- By Online
- You can renew your driving licence online for free if youre 70 or over or soon will be by using your Government Gateway ID. If you dont have one or need to re-register, youll get an ID as part of your application. Go to this website to start your application: https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=RE7&_nfls=false.
- By Post
- Complete the D46P form. DVLA will automaticaly send you this form 90 days before your 70th birthday. If you don't have the D46 form, you can pick one up from a Post Office or you can use the D1 application for a driving licence form. You can download the form here: https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx?ext=dg.
- Send your application to DVLA.
- A message on your D46P form will let you know if your photo is due for renewal and youll need to include a new passport type photo. The expiry date of your photo is shown in section 4b on the front of your driving licence.
- Youll also need to enclose original identity documentation if your name has changed since your last licence was issued.
- No fee is needed with this application.
- Identity documents
- UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
- Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
- a full valid current passport
- a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- a UK certificate of naturalisation
- for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
- recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
- UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
- Proof of evidence if you have changed name
Office Locations & Contacts
- Driver Licensing Enquiries
- Telephone: 0300 790 6801
- Textphone: 0300 123 1278
- Fax: 0300 123 0784
- Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
- Saturday, 8am to 2pm
- Drivers Customer Services
- Correspondence Team
- SA6 7JL
- DVLA Offices
- You can renew your current British driving licence if you:
- have a British licence that has expired or is going to expire within 90 days
- are a resident of Great Britain
- are 70 years old and above
- can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
- are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
- have a valid UK passport or another form of identity, if you are replacing a paper licence
- can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
There is no fee for this service.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- DVLA aims to deliver your new driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It'll take longer if they have to check your health or personal details. Allow at least three weeks for your driving licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can renew your driving licence using DVLAs secure online service, however, you won't be able to renew your C1 (medium size vehicles) and or D1 (minibus) entitlement.
- To renew these entitlements you can apply by post or use the premium checking service.
- Renewing your C1 or D1 entitlement
- If you want to renew your C1 or D1 entitlement, you will need to complete an 'Application for a lorry or bus driving licence' (D2). This applies whether you previously held full, restricted or voluntary entitlement.
- You must also provide a Medical Examination Report (D4).Your doctor will charge you for this service. The D2 and D4 forms are available from DVLA local offices, the Vehicle Operator Services Agency, the Driving Standards Agency, Traffic Area Offices and LGV/PCV training schools.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Country of birth
- Passport number
- Date of issue
- Contact address
- Updated Telephone number
- Email Address
Need for the Document
Your driving licence entitlement will expire when you reach the age of 70 and if you want to continue to drive, the entitlement will need to be renewed by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.