Scotland - How To Change Name and Address on your Driving Licence
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- By Online
- You can change your name by using your Government Gateway ID. If you dont have one or need to re-register, youll get an ID as part of your application. Go to this website to start your application: https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=COA&_nfls=false
- In Person or By Post
- Complete the right form.
For Photocard and Paper Driving License:
For a car or motorbike licence: Form D1 - Application for a Driving Licence.
For lorry or bus: Form D2 - Application for a Lorry/Bus Driving Licence.
Forms are available here: https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx
- Enclose all required original documentation confirming your new name, your photocard driving licence and paper counterpart. For paper driving licence, include a passport-type photograph.
- Send your completed application in person to DVLA.
For D1 car or motorbike applications:
For D2 lorry or bus applications:
- You don't need to send a new photo.
- You can change your address by using your Government Gateway ID. If you dont have one or need to re-register, youll get an ID as part of your application. Go to this website to start your application: https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=COA&_nfls=false
- By Post
Photocard driving licence
- Complete the changes section on your paper counterpart, sign and date it.
- Send both your photocard driving licence and the paper counterpart to:
Paper driving licence
- Complete the form D1 Application for a driving licence for car and motorbike licences, or form D2 Application for a lorry/bus licence for lorry and bus licences.
- Enclosed your driving licence, original documents confirming your identity, a passport photograph.
- Send the completed application to DVLA.
- Identity documents
- UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
- Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
- a full valid current passport
- a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- a UK certificate of naturalisation
- for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
- recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
- UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
- Proof of evidence if you have changed name
Office Locations & Contacts
- Driver Licensing Enquiries
- Telephone: 0300 790 6801
- Textphone: 0300 123 1278
- Fax: 0300 123 0784
- Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
- Saturday, 8am to 2pm
- Drivers Customer Services
- Correspondence Team
- SA6 7JL
- DVLA Offices
- You can change the name and address on your current British driving licence if you:
- have your driving licence in your possession (both parts if its a photocard licence)
- are a resident of Great Britain
- are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
- have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
- can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
- Changing your name or address on your driving licence is free. However, if you want to change your photo on your photocard licence at the same time, you need to pay 20 fee.
A Driving Licence is valid for 10 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
- DVLA aims to deliver your new driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application.
- Itll take longer if they have to check your health or personal details.
- Allow at least three weeks for your driving licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both.
- You can change your address details online.
- If you need to change your name or name and address, youll need to send your driving licence to DVLA for amendment.
- You can change your name, address or gender on your licence by post.
- Remember that you may also need to change your name and address on your registration certificate.
- Keeping your details correct
- Telling DVLA your details have changed will ensure your record is up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.
- Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you cant register your new address on your British driving licence. Youll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.
- Lost or stolen licence
If youve lost your driving licence, or you dont have one or both parts of your photocard driving licence youll need to apply for a replacement and notify any changes at the same time.
- Updated full name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Country of birth
- Passport number
- Date of issue
- Updated contact address
- Updated Telephone number
- Email Address
Need for the Document
You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both. You can update your driving licence online or send it to DVLA for amendment. A new licence will be issued free of charge unless your photographs due for renewal.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.