Wikiprocedure > Scotland

Scotland - How To Apply for a Provisional Driving Licence

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


By Online
In Person or By Post
  1. Complete the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches.
    DVLA Form Ordering Service:
  2. Enclose all required original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and the fee of 50.00
  3. Send your completed application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD or you may be able to use the premium checking service.


  • If youre including non-UK identity documents send your application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AF.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

Identity documents
  • UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
  • Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
    • a full valid current passport
    • a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    • a UK certificate of naturalisation
    • for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
      • recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
      • BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
  • UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
    • National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
    • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
    • P45, P60 or pay slip
    • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
    • college or university union card or school record
  • Proof of evidence if you have changed name

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Driver Licensing Enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6801
Textphone: 0300 123 1278
Fax: 0300 123 0784
Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm
Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team
DVLA Offices

Ads by Google


  • To apply for your provisional licence you must be a resident of Great Britain and meet the minimum age requirement.
  • You must also have sufficient eyesight.
  • You must not be prevented from driving for any reason.
  • You must have a valid UK passport or other form of identity.
  • You must have your National Insurance number if known.
  • You must provide addresses where youve lived for the last 3 years.


First provisional - car, motorcycle, moped: 50.00


A Driving Licence is valid for 10 years.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

  • DVLA aims to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It will take longer if your health or personal details have to be checked.
  • You will need to wait for your new licence to arrive before driving. You should allow at least three weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


  • You can apply for your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's (DVLA) secure and easy to use online service. (Please note, you cannot use this service if you have previously had a provisional licence.)
  • You can now apply for a provisional driving license online by using your government gateway ID. If you apply online, it means that you agree that DVLA can check your personal data, including your National Insurance number.
  • DVLA will have to confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA cant fully verify your identity, youll be told what to do at the end of the application.
  • You can also apply for your provisional driving licence by completing the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office branches.
  • You can pay 50 fee by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card.
Applying for provisional entitlement for larger vehicles, minibuses and buses
  • If you currently hold a valid full paper licence and want to add provisional entitlement to drive larger vehicles, minibuses and buses you must complete the application form D2 and the medical report form D4. These are available from the DVLA form ordering service.
  • The D4 has to be completed by a doctor and you should ensure that all the relevant questions are completed. The doctor will normally charge you for completing the report and those registered for VAT are also required to charge an additional 20 per cent on top of their fee.
  • It is also necessary to return original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and your current paper driving licence.
  • There is no fee required for the application.
Before you start your application you will need the following items
  • Means of identification - Ideally this is in the form of a UK digital passport, meaning you only need to supply the nine digit code for the DVLA to confirm your identity. Otherwise there are many other forms of documentation that you could supply, these however will need sending along with your licence application: A non-digital Passport, EU Identity Card or UK certificate of naturalization. You may also send your birth certificate, although further proof of identity must be supplied alongside it, such as your National Insurance Card, P45, P60 or Pay Slip.
  • Passport sized photograph - This must be a full colour, 45mm x 35mm photograph showing the full head. The criteria continue with a plain, evenly lit background with no hats, helmets or sunglasses obscuring the face. You can quickly generate a suitable photograph by using the photographic booths found in shopping and leisure areas. Remember you must also have your photograph signed by someone who has known you for at least two years (non-relative).
  • A Black Pen - Unless you choose to fill out your application online, you must write your details on the application in full capitals with black ink.
  • Money - The provisional licence has a current cost of 50, payable by cheque or postal order.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Country of birth
  • Passport number
  • Date of issue
  • Contact Address
  • Postcode
  • Telephone number
  • Email Address

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

Before you can learn to drive a car, moped or motorcycle you must apply for a provisional driving licence. If you already hold a valid full driving licence and want to learn to drive larger vehicles, minibuses or buses you will need to apply for provisional entitlement for these vehicles.

Provisional Drivers Licence
  • The provisional drivers licence gives you the permission to drive on the UK roads (excluding motorways) whilst under the supervision of your driving instructor or another driver over the age of 21 who has held a full drivers licence for a minimum of three years.
  • The licence will be required when taking your theory, hazard perception and practical driving test and will also be needed on your first driving lesson.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

UK Government:
The Highway Code:

Ads by Google
Ads by Google


More information which might help people.