Wikiprocedure > Scotland

Scotland - Getting Married in

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Obtain a Marriage Notice from the registrar or through the National Records website. You can download the form here:
  2. Fill in the Marriage Notice. (Both parties must fill in the notice form.)
  3. Submit the completed Marriage Notice, along with the required documents and appropriate fee to the registrar of the district in which the marriage is to take place.
  4. Both parties must be aware of the marriage and independently complete and sign the declaration on the marriage notice form.

For those who lived in England or Wales:

  • As an alternative to the normal procedure of giving notice to a registrar in Scotland, if you intend to marry
    • a person residing in Scotland, or
    • a person residing in England or Wales who has a parent residing in Scotland, you may give notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar in the district of England or Wales in which you reside. The person you are marrying should, however, give notice in Scotland in the usual way.
  • You should seek the advice of the superintendent registrar if you wish to proceed in this way. The certificate for marriage obtained from him should be sent to the Scottish registrar as quickly as possible.

Ads by Google

Required Documents[edit]

  • your birth certificate
  • a decree of divorce or dissolution or annulment or a certified copy decree (if you have been married or registered under a civil partnership before)
  • death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner (if deceased)
  • if any of these documents is in another language, other than English, a certified translation in English must be provided
  • notice forms
  • if you are domiciled abroad, a certificate of no impediment issued by the competent authority to the effect that you are free to marry is required (except for those who are already residents of UK and have lived for in the UK for the last two years or more and those UK citizens living abroad or an Australian or Canadian or New Zealand citizen)
  • any other documents as needed

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

General Registration Unit
National Records of Scotland
Room 39
New Register House
3 West Register Street
Telephone Number: 0131 314 4452

Directory of Registrars in Scotland:

Ads by Google


Any two persons, regardless of where they live, may register a civil partnership in Scotland, provided that:

  • both persons are at least 16 years of age
  • they are not related to one another in a way which would prevent their registering their civil partnership
  • each is unmarried or not already registered as a civil partner
  • they are not of the same sex
  • they are capable of understanding the nature of marriage ceremony consenting to marrying
  • the marriage would be regarded as valid in any foreign country to which either party belongs.


  • For each person submitting a notice of marriage - 30
  • For solemnization of a civil marriage - 55
  • For each extract of the entry in the registry of marriages - 10
  • Total Statutory fees for two people submitting a notice of marriage, have a civil marriage solemnized by the registrar and have one extract of their registry entry - 125


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Marriage Notice Forms:

Form for Witness Details:

Ads by Google

Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.    

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain the processing your application.    

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 

Ads by Google


  • It is by law that both parties who want to register a marriage in Scotland must submit notice forms to the registrar of the district in which the marriage is to take place. The notice forms should indicate their intention to marry.
  • Notice forms can be obtained from any registrar of births, etc. in Scotland or from the National Records of Scotland website at
  • Notice must be given in a three-month period prior to the date of the intended civil partnership and not later than 15 days before that date.
  • If you want a religious marriage (which includes other belief systems) the marriage schedule needs to be personally collected from the Registrar no more than seven days prior to the date of marriage during office hours.
  • Every person giving notice is required to sign a declaration to the effect that the particulars and information given on the notice are correct.
  • Make early arrangements for the date and time of your marriage.
  • If you are having a religious ceremony, contact the person performing the marriage before completing the notice of marriage.
  • For a civil marriage, make advance arrangements with the registrar.
  • Arrange for two persons, aged 16 years or over, to be present at your marriage to act as witnesses. They are required whether it is a religious or civil ceremony.
  • Let the person performing the marriage know if you change your plans or decide to postpone your marriage.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.

Ads by Google

Need for the Document[edit]

Getting married is an act of union between two persons who love each other. The following procedure will give information on how to get married in Scotland.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

Information Leaflet RM1:
Marriage in Scotland:
Approved Places for Civil Marriage by Council:
Approved Places for Civil Marriage by Place Name:

Ads by Google


More information which might help people.