Scotland - Exchange your Paper Driver License to Photocard Driver License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- You can exchange your old paper driving licence for a photocard driving licence online by using your Government Gateway ID. If you dont have one or need to re-register, youll get an ID as part of your application. Go to this website to start your application: https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=FAP&_nfls=false.
- In Person or by Post
- Complete the form D1, which you can get from the DVLA form ordering service or from a Post Office.
DVLA Form Ordering Service: https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx?ext=dg
- Enclose your original identity documents, a colour passport-type photograph and the fee of 20 (if youre applying by post make cheques or postal orders payable to DVLA - do not send cash).
- Send all your documents to:
- Identity documents
- UK Biometric Passports (If you have this, you can use the 9-digit passport number for your driving licence application.)
- Other Identity Documents (if you don't have a biometric passport): These must be in original copies.
- a full valid current passport
- a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
- a UK certificate of naturalisation
- for pensioner: These must be in original copies.
- recent (within 3 months) bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number
- BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension
- UK birth and adoption certificates: These must be send with one of the following:
- National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions showing your National Insurance number
- photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
- P45, P60 or pay slip
- marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
- college or university union card or school record
- Proof of evidence if you have changed name
Office Locations & Contacts
- Driver Licensing Enquiries
- Telephone: 0300 790 6801
- Textphone: 0300 123 1278
- Fax: 0300 123 0784
- Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
- Saturday, 8am to 2pm
- Drivers Customer Services
- Correspondence Team
- SA6 7JL
- DVLA Offices
- You must have your driving licence in your possession.
- You must be a resident of Great Britain.
- You must also have sufficient eyesight.
- You must not be prevented from driving for any reason.
- You must have a valid UK passport or other form of identity.
- You must have your National Insurance number if known.
- You must provide addresses where youve lived for the last 3 years.
- You must pay 20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card.
Paper licence to photocard with change of details (eg, name or address) - Free
Paper licence to photocard with no change of details - 20
A Driving Licence is valid for 10 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Your new driving licence should arrive within 3 weeks.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You cannot apply online if your name has changed.
- You must apply by post using form D1 for cars and motorbikes, or form D2 for lorries and buses.
- If you have a UK digital passport, photo on this will be used on your photocard driving licence.
- If you don't have a UK digital passport or you dont want to use the photo on your passport, youll need to send a photo by post. At the end of your online application a form will be posted to you so you can return it with your photo.
- When you apply online, it means you agree that the DVLA will check your personal data, including your National Insurance Number. DVLA will have to confirm your details with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). If DVLA cant fully verify your identity, then you'll be told what to do at the end of the application.
- Full Name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Country of birth
- Passport number
- Date of issue
- Contact Address
- Telephone number
- Email Address
Need for the Document
If you are currently holding a paper driver licence and you wish to have a photocard driver licence, you can exchange it through DVLA.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.