Wikiprocedure > Scotland

Scotland - Apply for Disabled Student Allowances (DSAs)

From Wikiprocedure

Revision as of 07:40, 30 December 2017 by Wesley (talk | contribs) (Created page with "==Procedure== #Complete the application form. If you are having a hard time filling in the form, you may ask someone else to fill it in for you as long as they have your autho...")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search


  1. Complete the application form. If you are having a hard time filling in the form, you may ask someone else to fill it in for you as long as they have your authority to do so.
  2. Submit the completed form along with all other required documents.
  3. If you do not have an assessment of your needs, or you send SAAS a recommendation that they feel may not fully meet your needs, they will refer you to an access centre for another assessment. This can take time so it is important that you apply as early as possible. If they refer you to an access centre, they will give them all the information you gave them in respect of your claim for DSA. The assessment they will do tell SAAS what equipment or help you need, how much it will cost and the name of a company that will be able to supply the equipment. If they refer you to an access centre for an assessment of your needs, you should contact the access centre if you have any questions about the assessment, or the recommendations they make for you.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Completed application form
  • Supporting documents to confirm your disability

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Saughton House
Broomhouse Drive
EH11 3UT

The number you should call will depend on your course type or where you are studying. Contact numbers - details




Higher education students living in Scotland, can apply for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) if they have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg. dyslexia

Applicants must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

Applicants must also:

  • be an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including Open University or distance learning)
  • have a condition that affects your ability to study
  • qualify for student finance from Student Finance England
  • be studying on a course that lasts at least a year

You can not get DSAs if youre:

  • an EU student
  • eligible for an NHS Disabled Students Allowance (this is a separate scheme)
  • getting equivalent support from another funding source, eg from your university or a social work bursary

Your course must be in the UK and one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • a postgraduate course
  • Initial Teacher Training

Get in touch with your university or college to ask if your course is recognised.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Your application for DSA is only valid for one academic session. You must apply every year.

Documents to Use[edit]

Disabled students' allowance (DSA) - Forms and Guide

Note: You can also collect a form from your institution's disability advisor.


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

If you have not heard from SAAS after 28 days of sending your application, contact the office to make sure they have received your form.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs): Paid on top of your other student finance. DSAs will help you pay the extra costs you may have because of your disability. They dont have to be repaid. The amount you will get depends on your individual needs - not your household income. If youre a part-time student your course intensity can affect how much you get.

Money is paid either into your bank account or directly to the organisation providing the service or equipment.

Closing dates: You must make sure that you apply before the final closing date for session 2015-2016 which is 31 March 2016.

Required Information[edit]

A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.
1. Date of Birth.
2. City or County of Birth.


Need for the Document[edit]

Following is a procedure on how you can apply for a Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs).

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Student Awards Agency for Scotland:



More information which might help people.