Scotland - Adoption in
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The adoption counsellors at Birthlink serves as an intermediary between the adopted person and their birth parent or relative where this is requested.
- The person who registers on "Birthlink" and in contact with another adoption agency with whom they wish to retain contact can be recorded on the "Birthlink" form. For that instances, if a link is made through the "Birthlink" register, Family Care will notify the other agency, at the same time as the adopted person and the birth parent, that a link has occurred on the "Birthlink" register.
- original birth certificate
- adoption certificate
Office Locations & Contacts
The National Records of Scotland Adoption Unit
General Register House
2 Princes Street
Telephone: 0131 535 1355, 1383 or 1376
E-mail [email protected]
- All people aged 16 and over, whose birth and/or adoption took place in Scotland (The adopted person will need their original birth information to be able to complete the form*.)
- Birth mothers, birth fathers and any other birth relatives, where the adopted persons birth and/or adoption took place in Scotland.
- Adoptive parents on behalf of a child under the age of 16, where the child's birth and/or adoption took place in Scotland.
Registration Fee to Adoption Contact Register for Scotland - 20.00
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- You can trace your original birth entry by writing, email or calling the Adoption Unit, providing details of your adoptive name, date of birth and your full postal address. You will be sent a declaration form to complete.
- More information about "Birthlink" and registration forms can be obtained from the "Birthlink" website: http://www.birthlink.org.uk.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Adoption is a process whereby a person assumes the parenting for another and, in so doing, permanently transfers all rights and responsibilities, along with filiation, from the biological parent or parents.
The Birthlink in Edinburgh is an independent agency that operates the "Birthlink register" for Scotland.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.