Portugal - Replace Lost / Stolen or Damaged Passport
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
HOW TO APPLY
- Contact the relevant authorities, namely the police in case of a lost or stolen passport.
- You will be required make a sworn declaration as to the particular circumstances of the events of its loss, theft or destruction of the passport at the police station or consulate
- Visit the issuing authority or the Portugal consulate with the required document, police report and the recommended fees
- In case of damage passport bring the damage passport with you to the consulate or issuing authority
- Request for an application form and read through the instruction carefully and attach all the required document and the police report
- Pay the fees and submit them to the attending officer who will take your photo on site and verify your document and process them.
- If all the information are correct you may be issued with either an emergency traveling document(in cases of emergency only) or you may wait for your passport to be processed
NOTE: For security reasons, the document declared as lost or stolen shall be included in national and international databases for the purpose of seizure and should not be used. In the event of its use, the document will be seized and sent to the issuing authority.
- applicant's Identity Card / Citizen Card as proof of identity
- damaged passport
- if you are replace a lost or stolen passport: police report
- if you are replacing a passport issued to a minor:
- proof of parental authority (example: birth certificate)
- proof of guardianship
Office Locations & Contacts
You can request for a replacement passport in these following cases:
- Loss of validity of the passport;
- Destruction or theft;
- Normal : 65
- Express : 85
- Urgent : 95
- Urgent - applications processed at Lisboa Airport: 100
The amount payable for the normal service requested in Portugal is 65 euro. Add 10 euros if you would like to have your new passport delivered to the address that you have given in your application within 6 working days.
- Two years for passports issued to children under four years;
- Five years in other cases.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Normal service: If all legal requirements were met, the application will be processed within five working days.
- Express: If all legal requirements were met, the application will be processed within two working days.
- Urgent service: If all legal requirements were met and the approval for the issuance of passport is made until 12: 00h, the passport is delivered the next day, in mainland Portugal, in the place where it was required or residence;
- Urgent service at Lisbon airport: If all legal requirements were met and the approval for the issuance of passport is made ??until 12: 00h, the passport is delivered, from 16: 30h, at Lisbon airport;
If all legal requirements were met and the approval for the issuance of passport is made after 12: 00h, the passport is delivered within one working day, at Lisbon airport.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Contacting the relevant authorities, namely the police or issuing authority. The same procedure should be followed in the event the passport holder is abroad: contacting the local authorities and informing the Portuguese consular representation in the respective country of the loss or theft of the passport.
- When an application for a replacement for a destroyed, lost or stolen Passport is completed and signed, the applicant shall make a sworn declaration as to the particular circumstances of the events of its loss, theft or destruction.
- For security reasons, the document declared as lost or stolen shall be included in national and international databases for the purpose of seizure and should not be used. In the event of its use, the document will be seized and sent to the issuing authority.
- The use of a lost or stolen document subsequent to being replaced may be punishable by a fine of €250 to €750.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
- Passport is a travel document, holders of a valid passport are permitted to enter and leave Portugal and other countries that recognizes the document.
Information which might help
Minimum requirements to apply for an Emergency Travel Document:
- Your original police report
- Four passport photographs
- Proof of your flight home
- Photo identification (driver's license, Public Services Card, Student card etc.)
- The relevant fee
- You will need to fill out a passport form at the Embassy and have this witnessed
- Depending on your situation, we may require additional evidence in support of your application
- Minors: if a minor’s passport has been lost or stolen, consent from the parents or guardians is required. If one parent is in Ireland, they can go to the Passport Office to submit a properly witnessed form.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- The passport can also be presented as a form of identification.
More information which might help people.