Portugal - Replace Lost, Stolen or Damaged Citizen Card (Cart'o de Cidad'o)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Book an appointment online: Book Appointment (click on SCHEDULE to commence booking) with the instituto dos registos e notariado (IRN) or by telephone: (+351) 210 990 111(at cost of local tariffs) to schedule a convenient date to submit your application in person.
- Once you have completed booking, you will receive an acknowledgement receipt with details of your appointment and alongside a reference for payment for the renewal service via your email account or by SMS depending on the option you choose for notification.
- Pay the required application fee recommended in the payment reference and obtain the payment receipt.
- On the eve of the appointment, visit the office you selected five minutes before the appointment time and wait for your turn.
- When you are called, approach the service desk and show you appointment details to the assisting official, if requested.
- Provide the details of your card, i.e. the card’s number, if the card is lost/stolen or the damaged card to the assisting official for reference in the system.
- The official will verify the information you have provided and request for a new citizen card.
- The card will be prepared and once it is ready for collection you will be notified via email or by SMS to pick it from the office you applied from.
- Visit the office in-person and obtain the citizen card.
- You have to Cancel the citizen card you want to replace if it is lost, stolen or damaged card before applying for a new one using the online option, you can cancel the card using one of the options provided in this link: Apply for Cancellation
- Once cancelled, visit the e-Portugal Citizen Card renewal service to apply for the card online through this link: Apply Online and scroll down to the tiles named “RENEW NOW” AND “RENEW IN PERSON “.
- On the tile named “RENEW NOW”, click on RENEW ONLINE to start your application
- In the new page, choose a suitable option for authenticating your identity and click on continue
- Fill the online application form and click on AUTHORIZE to submit the application
- Choose the best location where you want to pick the card once processed
- Pay the required application fee and obtain the payment receipt
- The card will be processed and you will receive a withdrawal letter notifying you that the citizen card is ready collection.
- You can book an appointment to collect you citizen card in person using the information provided in step one of Apply in-person above.
Applications by a Third Party
- You can apply as a third party using the online option provided above, but in this case when you reach the tile named “RENEW NOW” inside the tile, click on this option “Click on this link to renew the Citizen Card for a third party” to fill the online application form. Note that you need to cancel the card first before you use the online option for a lost, stolen or damaged card
Application from Abroad
- Visit the nearest Portuguese embassy to submit your application, consult with the embassy if you need to book an appoint in advance since different consulates have different policies
(Please refer to external links section below)
- Identification documents
- Active Digital Mobile Key and its PINs
- Citizen Card and respective PINs, the Citizen Card application installed on your computer and a smart card reader
- The damage citizen card to be returned when obtaining a new
Office Locations & Contacts
Contact details and locations to apply and obtain the citizens card :
- For citizen card : Contact Info
- For citizen cards with schedule: Contact Info
- Citizen Card - consular posts and sections: Contact Info
- All holders of the citizen card are eligible for renewals in case of lost, stolen or damaged
For online application
- If the validity of the new card is less than 5 years: 13.50 € and application form abroad will cost: 18 €
- If the validity of the new card is longer than 5 years: 16.20 € and application from abroad will cost: 20.70 €
- In case of end of validity, the new card will cost 16.20€ and application form abroad will cost 20.70€
- For agent urgent and extremely urgent online application, In-person application fee will apply in this case.
Note : that you can pay the application fee for the online service via Multibanco reference. In the case of cards for withdrawal abroad it is also possible to pay by credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
For In-person application Normal requests, with withdrawal:
- In Portugal – It will cost 15 € for cards valid for 5 years and 18 € for cards valid for 10 years
- In abroad – It will cost 18 € for cards valid for 5 years and 23 € for cards valid for 10 years.
'Urgent requests, with withdrawal:
- In Portugal – It will cost 30 € for cards valid for 5 years and 33 € for cards valid for 10 years
- In abroad – It will cost 45 € for cards valid for 5 years and 48 € for cards valid for 10 years.
"Extremely urgent" requests:
- The extreme urgent service costs 50 € for cards valid for 5 years, and 53 € for cards valid for 10 years.
- In-person service requests, you can pay in cash, multibanco, with a certified cheque or bank draft from a bank with representation in Portugal or with a postal order to the order of IRN, IP.
- For individuals less than 25 years – Citizen Card valid for 5 years
- For individual who are 25 years old and above – Citizen Card valid for 10 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
- Within 3 to 11 days depending on agency of the application and your location
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type='website'>video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the '&' inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M' Video ID is 'Y0US7oR_t3M'.
You need to meet the following requirement for you to renew the citizen card online:
- the card to be renewed has been applied within the required time frame
- be 25 years or older
- Citizen Card valid or expired less than 30 days ago
- Sign in through an enabled Digital Mobile Key or a valid Citizen Card (with PIN codes and a smartcard reader).
Notice: if the Citizen Card is expired less than 30 days ago it is only possible to perform the service with a Digital Mobile Key that has been enabled during the validity of the Citizen Card. In case of having an expired Citizen Card you will not be able to enable the Digital Mobile Key, so you need to go to a Citizen Shop or service desk of the Registries and Notary Institute. Note: The online renewal of the Citizen Card, regardless of the reason, is only possible in cases where fingerprints were taken in the previous application.
- Parents’ name
- Documents number
- Civil identification
- Date of birth
- Process ID
- Expiration date
Need for the Document
- This card is used to identify Portuguese citizens in any public or private entity either in person or digitally refer to this link to view the importance of the card in details: link
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The citizen card can be used to vote.
eportugal.gov.pt: More info
More information which might help people.