Portugal - Register death
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The doctor who attended the deceased during his/her last illness is obliged to give the relative of the deceased person a notification stating the cause of death.
- The doctor must be satisfied about the cause of death before he/she can certify it.
- If the doctor isn't satisfied about the cause of death, he/she must inform a Coroner who will decide if a postmortem is necessary.
- There may be a delay where a postmortem is carried out, as you will not be able to get a medical certificate/Death Notification Form until the results are known.
- A death will be automatically registered where an inquest or postmortem was held by a Coroner and the Coroner's certificate has been received by the Registrar
- When registering a death at the registry office documents need to be presented. These include:
- Death certificate issued by a doctor
- Proof of identity of the deceased (although this is not compulsory)
- Next of kin identification
Office Locations & Contacts
To get details of your local civil registry office Follow link for your nearest civil registry office addresses http://conservatorias.com/
All death occurring in Portugal is eligible to be registered
Death registration is free in Portugal
Registering death is valid until death certificate is issued
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Registration is done on the spot however after applying for the death certificate It can take from three days to three weeks for the certificate to be available for collection.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- To register a death, you must bring a Death Notification Form stating the cause of death to the civil registry office. You will obtain this from the doctor who attended the deceased during his/her last illness.
- You must then complete Part 2 of the Death Notification Form; this contains important information relating to the deceased person, for example, his or her date of birth and his/her occupation,
- You must then sign the Register in the presence of the Registrar.
- You will need to bring photo ID with you when registering the death.The following people may make the report to the registry office:
- Next of kin or any other family member present at the time of death
- Church minister
- Administrative or police authorities
- If the death takes place within a hospital, retirement home, prison or other institution, the death will be reported by the institution
- Name of the deceased
- Place of death
- Time of death
- Cause of death
Need for the Document
When a person dies the death must be registered within 3 months by a relative. A death can be registered in the civil registry office, but you must first have received the 'Death Notification Form'. This will be given to you by the doctor who attended the person before his/her death
Information which might help
The burial or cremation can only take place once the death has been reported. Burial rights in Portugal are only valid for a limited amount of time. After this time the burial rights have to be renewed or the Portuguese authorities reclaim the grave. Organization of a cremation is quite straightforward and Portuguese undertakers arrange the paperwork if the person's ashes are to be transported to another country. There are no restrictions concerning moving ashes within the EU.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- As a legal record of death
- Social Security may require one if you are claiming survivor benefits
- You will even need one to file a tax return for the deceased.
- For brokerage account,
- For bank account,
- For life insurance policy,
More information which might help people.