Portugal - Obtain a Driving License
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Complete the application form.
- Obtain all the necessary documents.
- Please visit one of the offices.
- Passport (Passaporte) or Identity Card (Bilhete de Identidade)
- Residency Permit (Carto de Residncia)
- A completed application form in the following link http://www.imtt.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/Formularios/Documents/Mod1-IMTT.pdf
Office Locations & Contacts
Instituto da Mobilidade e dos Transportes (IMTT)
Terrestres IP, Ave das Foras Armadas 40, 1649-022 Lisboa
Telephone : 217 949 000
Helpline : 808 502 020
Fax: 217 973 777
E-mail : [email protected]
Location Map : Map
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A standard Portuguese Class B (passenger car) driving licence is valid until the driver is 50 years old, after which it must be renewed on a regular basis. From age 70, a driver is required to go for a revalidation.
A valid driving licence (Carta de Conduo) is needed to drive in Portugal and a driver must be minimum 18 years of age. Licences issued in some countries are not valid in Portugal beyond a fixed period. A licence which is valid for a fixed period may be exchanged for a Portuguese, or may not be exchanged at all, depending on the country of issue. If a licence may not be exchanged the licence holder must take a full driving test (theory and practical) in order to get a Portuguese driving licence. Licences issued by EU countries are valid in Portugal and need not be exchanged.
Temporary visitors on a holiday visa (under 90 days' visit) may use a valid foreign driving licence accompanied by an International Driving Licence.
Categories of License
- Class A: required to drive a motorcycle over 50cc with or without sidecar
- Class A1: required to drive a motorcycle up to 125cc and power up to 11 KW
- Class B1: required to drive a vehicle (tricycle and quadracyle) with an engine size of 50cc and less
- Class B: required to drive a vehicle with a maximum weight of 3.5 tons, and seating no more than nine passengers, including the driver. This includes standard passenger cars, people carriers and microbuses.
N.B Basic driving practice can begin at 16 years of age (or 14 years of age for A1/B1 categories). If certain criteria's are met
- Written consent from parent or guardian
- Must not have a police prohibition order (resulting from joyriding or illegal driving)
- Must have the necessary physical, mental and psychological aptitude
- Must have residency in Portugal for at least 185 days of the year
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be enrolled at a government-licensed driving centre
Once signed up with a registered driving school an "evaluation of knowledge" test must be taken. If successful, the learner driver must have a minimum of 32 hours driving practice with a school before taking a general theory test.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Below is a basic guide to the process involved in applying for and taking a Portuguese driving test. The Instituto da Mobilidade e dos Transportes Terrestres (IMTT) is responsible for issuing licenses.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
To find approved driving schools, please use the following link http://www.imtt.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/EnsinoConducao/LocalizacaoEscolasConducao/Paginas/LocalizacaoEscolasConducao.aspx
More information which might help people.