Portugal - Exchange foreign drivers license
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
To make requests for exchange of driving licenses and marking of exams, you must:
- Manually fill and sign the form Model 1 IMT in duplicate after printing. When completing the form, use a black ballpoint pen on hard surface (. Consult Form Instructions ). NOTE: In the service counters of the IMT and the Citizen Shops where IMT is present (Braga, Coimbra, Lisbon - Orange, Setbal, Viseu and Porto) , model 1 IMT is not necessary when the delivery of the documents is performed by itself being required when the delivery of the documents is performed by third parties.
- Complete and sign the form Type 2 IMT - Application Markup driving test;
- Deliver documents in Service Desks and regional or district office of the IMT Citizen's Shop near you;
- The driver will receive a new license at home, by registered mail in hand
- Delivery of the original valid driving license and definitive;
- A current photograph (passport size), color and smooth, clear background;
- Photocopy of the personal identification document and view the original;
- Medical certificate issued by a physician in the exercise of his profession , for drivers of any category;
- Certificate of favorable psychological examination report issued by a psychologist in the exercise of his profession, for drivers of Group 2: drivers of vehicles of categories C, CE, D, DE, category C1, C1E, D1 and D1E, as well as conductors of class B and BE engaged driving ambulances, fire brigade vehicles, patient transport, school transport and passenger car rental;
- Statement issued by the issuing authority or diplomatic or consular service, confirming the authenticity of the driving, the respective date of issue and validity of vehicle categories that are enabled with the respective dates and restrictions and that was the driving title obtained upon passing the driving test;
- Title Translation driving, certified by the consular service of Portugal or in another Member State in the respective country, when your content is not English, French, English or Spanish.
Office Locations & Contacts
Instituto da Mobilidade e dos Transportes (IMTT)
Terrestres IP, Ave das Foras Armadas 40, 1649-022 Lisboa
Telephone : 217 949 000
Helpline : 808 502 020
Fax: 217 973 777
E-mail : [email protected]
Location Map : Map
All foreigners who are legally in Portugal and travelling not on a holiday visa are eligible.
Practical test 30;
Issue of Driving Licence 30.
Drivers license is subject to re validation every 10yrs
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time is 7 to 14 days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The exchange of driving licenses issued by foreign countries not acceding to the International Convention on Road Traffic depends on taking and passing the practical test driving test, for each category of the driver holds. Yet the inscription in driving school does not is required, so that the driver can autopropor examination Licences issued by EU and EEA countries are valid in Portugal, and need not be exchanged while they remain valid. EU licences that do not already state an expiry date, or if the date does not coincide with a date imposed by national driving regulations, must be exchanged within two years of the holder taking up residence in Portugal.
- Minimum legal age required by Portuguese law for the category to which it is enabled
- Physical and mental fitness
- Reside in Portugal
- Not be fulfilling ban or disqualification or security measure of prohibition and grant the license
Need for the Document
Licences issued in some countries are not valid in Portugal beyond a fixed period. A licence which is valid for a fixed period may be exchanged for a Portuguese one, or may not be exchanged at all, depending on the country of issue. If a licence cannot not be exchanged the licence holder must take a full driving test (theory and practical) in order to get a Portuguese driving licence.
Information which might help
Drivers who hold a licence issued by another EU or EEA country and who are resident in Portugal are obliged to register with their regional or district Department of Motor Vehicles (IMTT) office within 60 days of establishing residency
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Used for identification purpose
- Used to acquire insurance
- Used to indicate what type of vehicle a person is qualified to drive
The movement in the country is not allowed to drivers with securities issued by non-member countries to these international conventions.