Poland - Register a Marriage
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Marriage Before a Registrar:
- The couple must submit a declaration of their intention to be married to the registrar. They must also present two adult witnesses.
- The marriage may be performed within or outside the premises of the office of the civil status.
- The marriage certificate will be issued immediately, following the ceremony.
Religious marriage recognized by civil law:
- For those who would like to be married before a priest, couples must first secure a certificate allowing them to do so from the head of civil registry that has jurisdiction in the area.
- The ceremony performed by the priest or clergyman to unite the spouses is binding and legal under Polish law.
- The certificate is signed by the clergyman, the couple and two adult witnesses. This certificate and the certificate issued by the Superintendent Registrar stating no circumstances excluding marriage will be forwarded to the registrar's office within five days after the marriage ceremony was performed.
- The certificate may be issued, a day after the documents were delivered to the registrar's office.
Marriage before the consul:
- A man and woman, who are Polish citizens staying abroad may enter into marriage before the consul or before a person who is appointed to perform the functions of a consul.
- Marriages performed by the consul is binding and legal under Polish law.
- Marriage document signed by the consul, spouses and the witnesses along with the document stating that there are no existing reason why the couple can't be married will be sent to the registrar in the City of Warsaw.
- After completion of the marriage, the certificate will issue copies of the marriage certificate.
- Copy of your birth certificate;
- Proof of termination or annulment of a marriage - if previously either of the parties have previous marriages - or proof of non-existence of a marriage - if the proceedings to establish the non-existence of marriage were pending against the person. No need to submit to the civil status certificate if they have been drawn in the same registry office.
- Written assurance that they did not know of the existence of circumstances that prevents the couple from being joined in marriage.
- Marriage license, if required by the provisions of the Family Code.
- For foreigners wishing to get married, in addition to the above-mentioned documents, you must shall also submit a document stating that according to the laws of the country where you are a citizen , that you have the legal capacity to marry.
- The power of attorney, if the statement of the marriage is to be submitted by proxy.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Interior
Stefana Batorego 5, 02-591 Warszawa
Tel: (22) 143 60 66
Fax (22) 601 39 88
Customer Service Point (CSP MSW)
ul. Rakowiecka 2A, on the first floor Offices Passes MSW
Tel: (22) 60 143 66 (8:15am - 4:15pm)
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Marriage is a legal contract binding two people together, granting them rights and obligations. Following are procedures how to register a marriage.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Ministry of Interior:
More information which might help people.