Poland - Register a Birth
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Submit all necessary documents to the civil registry to register the birth of the child.
- Once registration is completed, the head of the civil registry will issue the birth certificate.
- The child cannot have more than two names.
- It is not permissible to give the child:
- Names that make it hard to distinguish its gender.
- Names in the form of the diminutive
- Obscene names
- Ridiculous names
In case parents haven't made up their mind yet on what name to give the child, the head of the civil status will enter on the birth certificate one of the names commonly used in the country. Parents have 6 months to change the name of the child by submitting a written request.
Acknowledgment of Paternity
This may be done by submitting a declaration by the father to any of the following:
- Director of USC
- Guardianship court
- Polish consul - if recognition occurs abroad, and at least one of the child's parents is a Polish citizen,
- Notary, mayor (mayor, president of the city), the governor, the Speaker of the province, county or municipality secretary - if the life of the father or mother of the child in immediate danger.
The mother of the child has 3 months to confirm the father's claim.
- Statement of birth issued by a doctor, midwife or health care facility.
- Brief copy of the marriage if the child's parents are married.
- Short birth certificate (mothers who are single), marriage certificate with a note of divorce (for those who are divorced), an abridged copy of the death certificate of spouse (widows)
There's no need to submit documents under numbers 2 and 3 if the birth of the child is being registered in the same registry office where these said documents are registered.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Interior
Stefana Batorego 5, 02-591 Warszawa
Tel: (22) 143 60 66
Fax (22) 601 39 88
Customer Service Point (CSP MSW)
ul. Rakowiecka 2A, on the first floor Offices Passes MSW
Tel: (22) 60 143 66 (8:15am - 4:15pm)
Persons required to report the birth of the child:
- The father of the child
- The child's mother, if her health permits
- Another person present at the birth
- The doctor or midwife
- If the child's birth took place in a health care institution, to report the birth shall be reported by an appointed staff of the health care institution.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please explain the processing your application.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Every birth must be registered within 14 days following its occurence at the civil registry office that has jurisdiction over the place where the child was born. In case neither of the child's parents lives in the area where the child was born, registration can be made at the office of civil status of either parents.
In cases, where the child was born in a Polish ship or aircraft, registration is done at the registry office in the city of Warsaw.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Following are procedures on how to register a birth in Poland.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
- Ministry of Interior:
More information which might help people.