Philippines - Getting married
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Birth Certificate, CENOMAR Request these documents from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). Also available online (see information below).
Application made in person by the owner or by his/her representatives will be received at different PSA Serbilis Centers.
Documents applied at the East Avenue PSA Serbilis Outlet will be released on the same outlet on the date specified in the receipt.
By Postal Service System
Please address all communications to:
PSA Complex, East Ave.
Diliman, Quezon City
Through the Web
Visit the PSA Serbilis website at https://www.psaserbilis.com.ph/Secure/SerbilisDirectory.aspx
Note: It the request is done through conventional postal service systen or thorugh e-mail, the certification shall be sent to the requesting party thorugh conventional postal service system.
- Get your Birth Certificate:
- You can get your Cedula (Community Tax Certificate) and Residency Certification from the Municipal Office or Barangay Office. Just present a valid ID.
- Baptismal Certificate from the church where you were baptized.
- Ask someone to pick it up. Prepare a letter of authorization and a valid ID together with the ID of the one who will pick it up.
- PRE-MARITAL COUNSELING AND FAMILY PLANNING SEMINAR:If either of you are between the ages of 18 and 25, you will need to show proof to the local civil registrar that you have received marriage counseling. If you do not receive marriage counseling, your marriage license will not be issued for three months.
- Officiants: Members of the local judiciary; priests, rabbis, imams, ministers of registered churches or religious sects; consul-generals, consuls, vice-consuls. Military commanders in the absence of a chaplain and ship captains and airplane chiefs can solemnize marriage in articulo mortis. If you use a religious officiant, one of you must belong to the officiant's church or religious sect.
- Birth Certificate, CENOMAR, Marriage Certificate.
- Birth certificate issued by the NSO, Certified true copy
- Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) form issued by the NSO
- Cedula or Community Tax Certificate
- 1 x 1 ID picture (colored or black and white)
- ID Requirements
- Residency Requirement
- Affidavit of parental consent (if the bride and/or groom is 18-21 years old)
- Affidavit of parental advice (if the bride and/or groom is 22-25 years old)
- BAPTISMAL AND CONFIRMATION CERTIFICATES
- Pre-Marital Counseling and Family Planning Seminar
- If CIVILLY MARRIED a certified true copy of Marriage Contract from National Statistics Office to be submitted two months before the wedding or Marriage Certificate from the country where civil wedding took place (photocopy only).
Note : If you have been previously married, you will need to provide the death certificate of your deceased spouse or the judicial decree of your absolute divorce, or the judicial decree of your annulment or declaration of nullity of your previous marriage.
Office Locations & Contacts
PHILIPPINE STATISTICS AUTHORITY
PSA Complex, East Ave.
Diliman, Quezon City
Civil Registration concerns:
Telephone: (02) 8461-0500 local 605
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: (02) 8462-6600 locals 839, 833 and 834
Note: NTC issued Memorandum Order No. 10-10-2017 last October 27, 2017, directing all telecommunications providers in the country to migrate all its customers to eight-digit telephone numbers.
3000-YYYY to 3499-YYYY – Bayan Telecommunications, Inc.
6000-YYYY to 6699-YYYY – ABS-CBN Converge, Inc.
6700-YYYY to 6999-YYYY – Eastern Telecommunication Philippines/ Telecommunications Technologies Philippines Inc.
7XXX-YYYY – Globe Telecom, Inc./ Innove Communications, Inc.
8XXX-YYYY – PLDT, Inc./ Digital Telecommunications Philippines, Inc.
A customer who still incorrectly dials the old seven-digit number will hear a special announcement saying the format has been changed to eight-digit, for a period of three months after the migration (March 18, 2019 to June 17, 2019).
Since 18 is the legal marrying age under Philippine laws, any party aged 18-21 needs parental consent, while those aged 21-25 need a written parental advice that expresses parents or guardians awareness of the intention to marry. If for any reason the child cannot get parental advice, they can still marry, but must wait 90 days for the marriage license to be issued. Some LCRs (Local Civil Registry) will make the parents appear in person to give the advice/consent, others will not require this.
License Fee P 390.00 (depends on the City or Municipality) The cost for obtaining a marriage license varies considerably from locale to locale. One thing many areas have in common is that they only accept cash. Some areas will give a discount if you can show evidence that you had premarital education or counseling. Fees for a marriage license may be waived if the couple applying has no visible means of income or has insufficient income.
According to this cited law, a marriage license is effective within one hundred twenty days (120) days from the date of its issuance, and may be used anywhere in the Philippines within this period. Thus, although a marriage license is valid only for a limited period, it may be presented and used in a place different from the original place of its issuance. However, the place of its issuance must be in the local civil registrar where one of the marrying parties resides (Article 9, Family Code of the Philippines).
Documents to Use
Please attach documents which can be used by people who would like to follow this procedure.
Please attach sample completed documents which would help other people who would like to follow this procedure.
Marriage License - Don't wait until the last minute to apply for your marriage license. We recommend that you get your marriage license about a month before your scheduled wedding date.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- A marriage license is your ultimate requirement before you can walk down the aisle and say "I do." Tying the knot also comes with social responsibilities, and fulfilling this requirement is one of them, as stated under the Executive Order 209 or the Family Code
- Most wedding churches will require you to present the marriage license before confirming your slot.
- Most couples in this predominantly Catholic country opt to get married in a church--and if you're one of them, you should know that there are several requirements that you and your groom should secure before walking down the aisle.
- Date of Birth
- Residency Information
Need for the Document
The formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.
Under the Philippine cultural terrain lies a unique and distinct belief: courtship is long, engagement is short and marriage is lasting. For the Filipino people, marriage transcends from being a ritualistic ceremony. The moment marital vows are shared and given, marriage transforms into a social fiber that connects individuals regardless of their ethnic differences. It fosters a strong sense of belongingness and strengthens the so-called imagined communities in the country. Evidently, the sacredness of marriage in the Philippines is influenced by the nations cultural roots and family system. In this context, marriage is far from being a contract that legalizes the social and economic union of two individuals. Rather, marriage is an act that reinforces the countrys collective ties and communal strength.
Information which might help
MARRIAGE between CATHOLIC and NON-CATHOLIC:
- A Certificate of freedom to marry from the Non-Catholic Minister or Pastor.
- PROMISE FOR MIXED MARRIAGE FORM to be filled up during the Interview. (To be submitted to the Chancery Office for approval)
MARRIAGE between FILIPINO and FOREIGNERS:
- Secure first a form of clearance from the Chancery Office of the Archdiocese of Manila located at 121 Arzobispo St., Intramuros,Manila. Look for FE Tel. No. 527-3955 / 527-7631/36.
- Certificate of freedom to marry from the foreigners parish.
- Legal capacity to marry from the foreigners national consulate /
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
The marriage certificate establishes a change in civil status and the legal spouse
DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS FOR A FOREIGN NATIONAL INTENDING TO MARRY A FILIPINO SPOUSE IN THE PHILIPPINES
- CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT (CNI) TO MARRY obtainable from the Registrars Office in the prospective foreign spouses place of residence.
- Original copy or certified true copy of birth certificate.
- Original copy or certified true copy of divorce decree absolute or death certificate of deceased spouse, if applicable.
- A Moral Character Reference, which takes the form of a letter or certificate from a person of authority, a social worker, health or education officer, or a church minister who has direct personal knowledge of the prospective foreign spouses character as well as background. NOTA BENE: All the above specified documents must be submitted to the prospective foreign spouses Embassy/Consulate in the Philippines upon arrival thereat. The Embassy/Consulate will then issue a CERTIFICATE OF LEGAL CAPACITY TO MARRY to the prospective foreign spouse. The prospective foreign spouse, together with the Filipino contracting party, may then apply for a marriage license at the Office of the Civil Registrar where the Filipino resides.