Northern Ireland - Register a Civil Partnership
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- It is important that you check first the availability of your chosen date and time to register your civil partnership. Planning must be done well in advance to avoid any disappointment.
- You will need to have two persons, aged 16 years or over, to be present at your civil partnership registration to act as witnesses.
- Let the Registrar know if there is any changes in your plans or you decided to postpone your civil partnership registration.
- Choose a venue for your civil partnership registration, this can take place in a Registrars Office or at an approved place.
- Alternatively, if you wish to apply for a temporary approval for civil partnership registration at a place of your own choice, such as your own home, you should contact the Registrar of the District in which the civil partnership will be registered who will advise you about the fee and the application procedure.
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure. e.g. 1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
General Register Office for Northern Ireland
49 - 55 Chichester Street
Phone number: 0300 200 7890
If calling from outside Northern Ireland: 028 9151 3101
Fax 028 9047 5746
Email address [email protected]
Any two persons, regardless of where they live, may enter into a civil partnership in Northern Ireland, provided that:
- both persons are at least 16 years of age on the day of the civil partnership registration - persons over 16 years and under 18 years of age require parental consent
- they are not related to one another in a way, which would prevent their civil partnership registration
- they are unmarried or are not already in a civil partnership (any person who has already been married or in a civil partnership must produce documentary evidence that the previous marriage has been ended by death, divorce or annulment, or the previous civil partnership has been dissolved)
- they are of the same sex
- they are capable of understanding the nature of a civil partnership
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid. e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Please provide instructions on obtaining the certificate/documents. e.g. The state office holds birth records since january 1908.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure. e.g. 1. Date of Birth. 2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Following are procedures on how you can register a civil partnership in Northern Ireland.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.