Wikiprocedure > United Kingdom > Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland - Apply for Tuition Fee Loan

From Wikiprocedure
Jump to: navigation, search


Applying Online

To easiest way to apply for a Student Finance is online. Creating an account can be completed in 10 minutes. LINK

You will need to enter your National Insurance number when you apply for a loan.

You can register online without your National Insurance number, but Student Finance Northern Ireland will need it before they can release a grant.

When you register youll be given a unique 11 digit Customer Reference Number. This is very important, youll need it every time you want to log into your account, and if you need to contact Student Finance Northern Ireland. You should make a note of it and keep it in a safe place.

Once youve registered and got your Customer Reference Number, password and secret answer youre ready to log into your account and start your application.

Applying using a paper form

You may also apply using a paper form, you can download the relevant forms from the 'Documents to Use' section.


Required Documents[edit]

Applications submitted online: After youve submitted your application online you will see the Evidence Summary screen.

This page allows you to choose the evidence you are going to send Student Finance NI to prove your identity, financial circumstances and other information. The office need this evidence before they can process your application.

If they need evidence from you they cannot pay you any money until they have received and processed it.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Telephone Enquiries

  • Phone: 0300 100 0077
  • Minicom: 0300 100 0625 You must have access to a Minicom device in order to use this service

Opening hours
Monday to Friday - 8.00 am to 8.00 pm
Saturday and Sunday - 9.00 am to 4.00 pm




Your qualification for student finance depends on:

Your university or college: Must be in the UK and either:

  • publicly funded (paid for by the government); or
  • privately funded but running individual courses that receive public funding.

Your course: The course must be offered in the UK, and one of the following:

  • a first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
  • a Foundation Degree
  • a Certificate of Higher Education
  • a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
  • a Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • a Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Initial Teacher Training

Note: Get in touch with your university or college to ask if your course is recognised.

For part-time students: You need to study your course at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year. This is known as course intensity. You can check course intensity with your university or college.

If youve studied a higher education course before: Generally, youll only get student finance if youre doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

  • you change course
  • you leave your course but decide to start again
  • youre topping up a higher education qualification, eg youve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an honours degree

Your age: Theres no upper age limit for Tuition Fee Loans or grants. To apply for a Maintenance Loan you have to be under 60 at the start of the course.

Your nationality or residency status:

  • Applicants must be a UK national or have settled status (no restrictions on how long you can stay)

Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

You might still be able to apply, if youre:

  • an EU national, or a relative of one;
  • a refugee, or a relative of one;
  • under Humanitarian Protection, or a relative of someone under Humanitarian Protection;
  • an EEA/Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one;
  • the child of a Swiss national; or
  • the child of a Turkish worker.

If you normally live in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man you cant apply to Student Finance England. You should contact the education authority on your island to apply for student finance.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.
e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Forms and Guides

Note: Make sure that you are using the most current form.


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. 
Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.
Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.
Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, 
sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube
width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.
e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



Tuition Fee loan:

  • You can get a Tuition Fee Loan to cover all or part of your tuition fees
  • You need to pay it back after you have finished your course
  • An interest is charged on any amount you borrow
  • The money is paid directly to your university or college, not to you

Loan amount: The amount you can borrow will depend on where in the United Kingdom you decide to study.

Universities and colleges in Northern Ireland can charge up to 3,805 for tuition fees in academic year 2015/16. You can get a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the full amount of tuition fees your university or college is charging you, up to a maximum of 3,805.

Universities and colleges in England, Scotland and Wales can charge up to 9,000 for tuition fees in academic year 2015/16. If youre studying in one of these countries, you can get a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the full amount of tuition fees your university or college is charging you, up to a maximum of 9,000.

The amount you are charged may vary depending on the course or the university or college you choose to attend. Contact the university or college directly for more information.

Required Information[edit]

  • Complete name
  • Gender
  • Date of birth
  • Town of birth
  • National Insurance number (optional)


Need for the Document[edit]

Following is a procedure on how students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Information which might help[edit]

Enter other informations which might help

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.
e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.

External Links[edit]

  • Student Finance Northern Ireland - Website:,1266217&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL#section7



More information which might help people.