Nigeria - Register with n Copyrights Commision
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- ONLINE SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
In order to submit applications for online registration of copyright, an applicant should access the NCeRS portal (www.eregistration.copyright.gov.ng) or through the Commission's regular website (www.copyright.gov.ng) and follow the steps listed below to create an account.
- Step 1: Click on "Copyright Registration".
- Step 2: Click on "Create an account".
- Step 3: Complete the account creation form with the accurate details including a valid email address and submit.
- Step 4: An email notification would be sent to the applicant's email address with relevant login details with activation link, to enable applicant log on to the registration portal. Applicant is advised to note of his/her username and password for future sign-in.
- Once account is created, applicant can log on to the web portal and click on Register a new Work on the dashboard section of the portal; a drop down menu indicating the various sections of the registration form will be shown.
There are eleven (11) sections to complete in the form. Applicant should complete the appropriate sections and click on Save and Next to continue to the next sections.
- The form can be saved and completed at a later date.
- All fields with asterisk (*) must be completed.
- Quick Tips on how to complete each section of the form can be found at the right hand side of the page.
- Completed form can be saved as PDF and printed.
- Pending Applications
This status indicates that the application is new and has not yet been processed by the NeCRS desk.
- Queried Applications
Applications with this status indicates that there is error or irregularity in the application that needs correction or rectification by the applicant. Applicants can respond to the query via their account by clicking on the question mark ?on the DASHBOARD or in the pending application folder.
- Processing Applications
Applications with such status are being treated.
- Approved Applications
These are successful applications in which a certificate has been issued with Registration Number. Applicants can view/print an Online Preview Copy of the certificate, pending when they receive/pick up the signed Original Certificate.
- Certified True Copy of Particulars of Directors,
- Certified True Copies of Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Evidence of Payment.
- Proof of originality of the product or service.
Office Locations & Contacts
- HEAD OFFICE
- NIGERIAN COPYRIGHT COMMISSION
Federal Secretariat Complex,
Phase I, Annexe II, Ground Floor,
Shehu Shagari Way, Maitama District,
P. M. B. 406 Garki,
Tel: (+234) 70 9881 2628
- Here is a list of the Nigerian Copyright Commission's Zonal & Liaison Office Addresses and Contacts Information Nationwide.http://www.copyright.gov.ng/index.php/contact-us
All Individuals or companies interested in the Nigerian copyright commision and other related communication products are eligible provided they have registered with the National Copyright Commission Board.
- Authors and creators who are originally the copyright owners of the product or service
- The following fees are applicable;
(Note: fees may be paid either in the Nigerian Currency or Dollars in the case of applicants making submission outside Nigeria);
- Copyright Registration Fee/registration of transfers ?10,000 - $60
- Issuance of certified true copy of ? 5,000 - $30
- Issuance of certified true copy of form ? 5,000 - $30
- Corrections & Changes in submitted data ? 5, 000 - $30
- Issuance of certified true copy of a Work (Paper-based)
- 0 50 pages ?5, 000 - $30
- 51 100 pages ?7, 500 - $40
- 101- 200 pages ?10, 000 - $60
- Above 201 pages ?15, 000 - $90
- This scale of fees is subject to review by the Commission from time to time.
Applicants requesting to receive certificates or other documents issued by the Commission by post or courier may be charged accordingly for the cost of such postage or courier.
- PAYMENT METHODS
- Online Payment (Credit/Debit Cards)
- Bank Deposit
- Scratch Card
- Online Payment Method
Payment can be made with both local and foreign debit and credit cards. Applications fees paid using this method will automatically be processed. (Note: Online payment may attract transaction fees chargeable by financial service provider).
- Payment by Bank Deposit Method
Payment may be made by bank deposit at designated banks. Application fees paid using this method will only be processed after receipt of confirmation of payment by the NeCRS desk.
Applicants are advised to make the relevant bank deposit before proceeding to submit an application online.
- Upon payment at the bank, applicant should note the TELLER NO as it will be required in submitting an application.
- Failure to enter the correct teller No. may result in delayed processing or cancellation of an application.
- ACCOUNT DETAILS
- BANK NAME: DIAMOND BANK PLC
- ACCOUNT NUMBER: 0009041272
- ACCOUNT NAME: COPYRIGHT NOTIFICATION SCHEME
Valid for 10 years then renewal is required .
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The processing take 5 to 30 working days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
one must be original initiator of the product and Service.
- A literary, Musical,artist is not eligible for copyright unless sufficient effort has been been extended on making the work to give it an original character.
- if the work has been fixed in any defined medium of expression now know or later to be developed from which it can be perceived, reproduced or otherwise communicated either directly with the aid of any machine or device.
- An artist work shall shall not be eligible for copyright, if at the time when the work is made it is intended by the author to be used as a model or pattern to be multiplied by any industrial process.
The key information required is as follows:
- Name of author of a work
- Copyright Owner
- Title of Work
- Registration Number
- Name of Applicant
- Organization / Company.
- Completed Nigerian Copyright Commission application form (Form CO7).
- Certificate of Incorporation with the Nigerian copyright commission.
- Certified true copy of memorandum & Articles of Association.
- Tax Clearance Certificate
Need for the Document
Nigeria is a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and a signatory to the Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) and other major International Agreements on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR). Despite active participation in international conventions and an apparent interest in IPR issues, GON efforts are largely ineffectual in curtailing widespread copyright violations.
Due to increased pressure from artistes, authors and creators who are originally the copyright owners, the then Federal Military Government promulgated into law, the Copyright Decree No. 47 of 1988, which now exists as Copyright Act Cap C28 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
The Act which has been aptly described as one of the best of its kind, not only created most favourable conditions for actualisation of authors' potentials through comprehensive protection of creative works, but also incorporated establishment for the first time, of a machinery for the administration of copyright and neighbouring rights matters in Nigeria, i.e. Nigerian Copyright Commission.
In 1988,General Ibrahim Babangida, GCFR, approved the establishment of the Nigerian Copyright Council which was inaugurated in August 1989 with a Governing Board. It had the sole mandate for the administration, protection and enforcement of all matters on copyright in Nigeria.
The Copyright, under the Act, is supervised by the Federal Ministry of Justice alongside trademarks, patents and designs. The Commission has its Headquarters in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, with nine (9) Zonal Offices and five (5) Liaison Offices spread across the six (6) geopolitical regions of Nigeria.
Information which might help
- REGISTRATION MAY BE MADE BY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PERSONS
- An Author;
- A Copyright Owner,
- An Assignee;
- An Agent; or
- Any Transferee/holder of copyright assignment or exclusive license.
Such persons may obtain the registration/notification application form after making the prescribed at any Diamond Bank PLC.
- You can Visit the Following Link to view for approved registered plants.http://www.copyright.gov.ng/index.php/regulatory-schemes/regulation-of-optical-discs-plants/registered-plants.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.