Nigeria - Register in Population Register
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
1.) To register send an e-mail to the following addresses:
2.) Or go to the:
National Population Commission Offices as indicated below in the address section on this procedure for registration.
Note: It is very important that the person wishing to be registered provides the correct address to the administration office at NPC offices (street, number, box number). The police will check whether the person is actually staying at the said address.
3.) Once the person wishing to be registered has submitted all required documents, he/she will receive a statement of registration, more specifically for registration in population register and he/she will be able to order for a certificate of registration that is valid for 5 years.
This concern the following cases: a person who has sufficient means of existence (except pensioners, disabled persons), adult ascendants, descendants as well as spouses, partners and descendants of Nigeria. These people will receive a statement of registration or an E card after a positive recommendation of the Immigration service or after a period of 6 months (most common situation) if the Immigration service does not react negatively.
If the person is unable to submit all documents and/or falls in one of the aforementioned cases, he/she will receive a request for statement of registration. All documents must be submitted within a period of 3 months from the submission.
- Special Case
In the New set up all foreigners who apply to work in Nigeria and have submitted a work permit and a contract of employment, may receive a statement of registration with their registration and request for a certificate of population Register(previously they received card limited to the period of validity of the work permit). If only the work permit was submitted, the person in question simply receives a request for statement of registration. The contract of employment must be submitted within a period of 3 months from the submission of population register. This process works only on the Foreign job-seekers who come into consideration for a registration.
When registering in the immigration register 4 photographs need to be provided in addition to the original photograph.
For children younger than 12, 2 photographs suffice and instead of registration form they will receive a small proof of identity. .
- A birth certificate
- 4 passport photographs
- an attestation letter
Office Locations & Contacts
- National Population Commission of Nigeria,
No. 1 Masaka Close Off Olusegun Obasanjo Way, Wuse Zone 7,
Phone: +234 (0)9 234 3173
- National Bureau of Statistics
Headquarters Office Address
Plot 762, Independence Avenue,
Central Business District,
- Information Desk
Sunday J. Ichedi
Head,Public Affairs & International Relation Unit
Statistical Information Officer
- Protocol Desk
S. K. Ogidan
Asst Protocol Officer
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES
Block 4A (301-399), 3rd Floor
New Fed. Secretariat Complex, Shehu Shagari Way,
P.M.B. 83, (Garki Post Office), Abuja
- NATIONAL INFORMATION & DOCUMENTATION CENTRE (NIDOC)
5th Floor, Wing B, Radio
House, Area 10, Garki, Abuja
- A persons who is citizens of Nigeria by birth-namely- (a) every person born in Nigeria before the date of independence, either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents belongs or belonged to a community indigenous to Nigeria;
- Foreigner arriving in Nigeria as a tourist. He/she must register his/her presence in the country (except when he/she is staying in a hotel).
- You must be either a foreigner or a citizen of Nigeria.
- Every person born in Nigeria after the date of independence either of whose parents or any of whose grandparents is a citizen of Nigeria; and every person born outside Nigeria either of whose parents is a citizen of Nigeria.
- Registration is free to all Citizen of Nigeria
- Attestation letters currently cost 2,000 Nairas: though this fee is "subject to review at anytime"
Registration certificate is valid for 5 years.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing takes 3 months for foreigners while for Nationals it takes 5 days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A foreigner arriving for the first time in Nigeria has to contact the National population Commission Foreigners' Office to register.
Birth certificate with descent or birth
The spouse of a Nigerian citizen must also submit other documents in addition to the certificate of marriage:
- Deed of property or registered lease contract
- Proof of income of the other person
- Insurance for medical care in Nigeria of the person in registering.
- If you are a foreigner and temporary work you will require contract of employment
- proof of sufficient means of existence.
- insurance for medical care in Nigeria.
- Volunteer: proof of means of existence + insurance for medical care in Nigeria
Need for the Document
Nigeria is the largest market in sub-Saharan Africa with a population of more than 150 million people, and a population growth rate estimated at three percent annually. The National Population Commission (NPC) of Nigeria was established by the federal government in 1988. It has the statutory powers to collect, analyze and disseminate population/demographic data in the country. It is also mandated to undertake demographic sample surveys, compile, collate and publish migration and civil registration statistics as well as monitor the country's Population Policy.
The Commission was reconstituted in 2011 with a Chairman and 37 members representing each state of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory.
The National Population Commission has headquarters in the Federal Capital Territory and has 36 state offices , as well as offices in local government areas. The National Population Commission is the only agency that is allowed to register population in Nigeria. Births are registered through the NPC's Vital Registration Department
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.