Nigeria - Register a New Vehicle
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- in Person.
- Before you start vehicle registration in Nigeria, ensure that you have all the needed documents.
- A valid Drivers License.
- Insurance Policy Number which can be obtained from your insurance firm.
- Identification like International passport, national identity card.
- Custom papers, Engine number.
- Once a vehicle is imported clearing agents shall proceed with the clearance or you can do it in person.
- Applicant completes online registration (MVA01) form at www.nvisng.org, prints completed form and attach all relevant vehicle documents and proceeds to SBIR/MLA (State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority) office.
- Pays for vehicle number plate at SBIR/MLA and is assigned a number plate.
- Applicant takes his/her vehicle to Vehicle Inspection Officer for physical inspection and is issued a Road worthiness certificate, if Vehicle Inspection Officer is satisfied with the condition of the vehicle.
- Applicant then goes to Road safety for the verification of documents provided. The verified document are:
- Drivers License
- Insurance Policy Number
- Means of Identification
- Proof of Address (e.g. Utility Bill)
- Applicant goes back to SBIR/MLA, where his/her Proof of Ownership Certificate (POC) number will be printed.
Then the Proof of Ownership Certificate, his/her Vehicle Number Plate and Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT), is released to him.
- Apply Online.
Visit the Federal Road Safety Corp National Vehicle Identification System website at ww.nvisng.org and completes online registration (MVA01) form,
- Print the completed form and attach all relevant vehicle documents
- Proceeds to SBIR/MLA (State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority) office and collect the allocation of plate number form, Plate number Tag, CMR and information required issued by the police
- Pay for vehicle number plate at SBIR/MLA and collect your vehicle number plate.
After that, take your vehicle to Vehicle inspection Office (VIO) for physical inspection and collect a Road worthiness certificate, if VIO is satisfied with the condition of the vehicle.
- Now go back to Road safety for the verification of documents provided.
- Here, the verified documents are Drivers License: Insurance Policy Number, Means of Identification, and Proof of Address (e.g. Utility Bill)
- Now you can go back to SBIR/MLA, where you will be given the following registered vehicle documents:
- Proof of Ownership Certificate (POC) number
- Proof of Ownership Certificate,
- Vehicle Number Plate
- Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT)
- Tax Identification Number (TIN),
- Commercial Invoice,
- Bill of Lading,
- Insurance certificate,
- Certificate of Origin,
- Permits (if necessary),
- Original and translated certificates of cancellation or permanent export,
- Photocopy of importer Identity Cards or Passport .
Office Locations & Contacts
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT
2nd Floor, Annex 3, New Fed. Secretariat Complex
Shehu Shagari Way, Central Area, P.M.B. 1136
Abuja Tel: 09-5237054
To be eligible you must be owning a Vehicle in Nigeria.
The of cost of car registration really depends on which type of vehicle starting from motorcycle to truck or bulldozer. For salon cars the cost would vary between N35000k N45000k at the time of writing this Procedure.
The cost of standard motor vehicle plate numbers is N15, 000
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process of car registration is completed in less than 15 working days subject to all documents being in proper order.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- The owner of the Vehicle has to renew the registration with the inspector of Vehicle Offices in Nigeria by law.
- A Compulsory Third-Party Liability (CTPL) insurance is required before the Government agency will approve of the renewal.
- This insurance is supposed to compensate the family of any person who will become a casualty of a vehicle accident.
- An inspection report which details the specifics of the vehicle and the corresponding emission test done to check the vehicle is in a good condition before it is permitted to be used on the public roads of Ethiopia.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Valid identity proof
- The Customs Value (CIF Value)
- The Engine Size
- The date of Manufacturing the Car
Need for the Document
A vehicle registration is a mandatory certification that every vehicle must have so that it can be driven on public roads of Nigeria whether it's new or used, you must register it at State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority offices in Nigeria.
Registration of a Car in Nigeria is characterized by payment of Import taxes and obtaining car number plates. The car will get a registration plate, that serves to make a distinction between different vehicles. Nigerian Government have introduced a new automated Vehicle Licensing and Renewal system in Nigeria. Motor Vehicle Registration is for all automobile owners who want to register or renew their Vehicle License in the country.
This includes car owners, commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, motorcycles (Okada) and all other heavy duty vehicle.
Information which might help
- Questionable customs registration paper will be impounded as the need to regulate the movement of cars into Nigeria and also to ensure an accurate up to date database of cars that ply the Nigerian roads.
- This is done to inevitably cause car owners to check their car registration papers with the FRSC and also prospective car owners will need to adhere strictly to the guide lines on how to register an imported vehicle.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.