Nigeria - Register a Motorcycle
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
To register a motorcycle in Nigeria, one must:-
- Make sure you have a Log Book or Registration Document for the motorcycle in your name; it is a book that shows all the technical and ownership information about motorbike like the motor registration number, the engine and chassis numbers;
- Get a license for the motor vehicle: Go to the official license plate office and get the motorcycle license plates made;
- Pay for insurance; and
- Then purchase a road license sticker and place on the front wind space of your Motorvehicle.
- Log book
- Any Proof of ownership like transfer forms or purchase documents.
Office Locations & Contacts
- Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC)
No. 3 Maputo Street.
Zone 3, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria
Telephone No.: 122 (Emergency Toll free Line)
0700 2255 3772
0807- 769 0362 (Text Messages Only)
- List of approved centres for Number Plates can be viewed at http://frsc.gov.ng/about-us/19403-2 and at http://www.nvisng.org/approveCentre.html
Whoever owns a motorcycle is eligible to apply for registration.
- Fixed charges for every Motorcycle brought into Nigeria is 1500 Naira
- Insurance 500 per a Motorcycle (this differs depending on insurance company, duration, and vehicle type).
- License Plate 2000 Naira
- As long as the vehicle is not transferred, registration is valid
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process of registration takes about one to two days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Application form must be filled by owner;
- Must fill in all the required information in the application form
- One must have a 10 digit Tax Identification Number (TIN).
- Motorcycle registration number
- Registration date
- Full name and address of owner of owner
Need for the Document
In Nigeria, the use of motorcycles by private individuals had existed for a long time. Although many used it for private purposes, a few made use of it to transport farm produce and to hawk their goods like bread, medicines,newspapers etc
This Because , many motor transport operators could not afford by that time to invest in the procurement of new vehicles. Some of the operators resorted to the use of imported second hand vehicles known as Tokunbo which were equally expensive and in some cases unserviceable. The economic depression of the 1980s thus set the stage for the introduction of an affordable means of intra-city transport. This was found in the use of motorcycles.
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.