Nigeria - Register a Government Vehicle
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Stages involved in registering a government Vehicle in Nigeria is not far different from importing a new private vehicle, the only difference is in the payment of government tax,in that the government vehicle is not required to pay government taxes whereas the private new vehicle pays for taxes.
Registration forms to be completed
Upon satisfaction with the documents , the registration officer issues registration forms to be completed by applicant from the government which includes:
- (a)Allocation of Registration Number of New Vehicle Form/Blue Form (Appendix MVAA 1)
- (b)Auto vehicle License Form (Appendix MVAA 2)
- (c)Form B (Appendix MVAA 3)
- (d)Federal Road Safety Form, FRSC Form (Appendix MVAA 4)
- (e)Tax Form (Appendix MVAA 5)
- Police Confirmation and Endorsement
After the completion of the Forms listed above, the registration officer will forward them to the Police Officer attached to the Licensing office to append his/her signature on the Allocation form after verifying and satisfied with the documents along with the vehicle brought for registration.
This is to ensure that the vehicle under registration satisfies all the existing laws binding motor vehicle registration and that the vehicle to be registered is risk free not a stolen vehicle.
- Issuance of Number Plate
Upon receipt of the police endorsed document, the registration officer then process for payment based on the type and capacity of vehicle;
- Collection of issued Number Plate
The following are the steps required to obtain a new Number plate. (1) Applicants desired number is sent for VERIFICATION.
(2) Documents submitted for registration of vehicle are confirmed with the above stated requirements.
(3) Filling of special number request form by applicant after which payments are made to appropriate banks.
(4) Applicant returns duly completed form and proof of payments
(5) Produced special plates are documented and handed to the owner alongside other documents.
The issued number plate will then be handed over to the applicant,The number plate for government vehicles differs from the private vehicles.
- Attestation letter from the company of purchase;
- Receipt of Purchase/Invoice;
- Delivery note from the company of purchase
- Passport photograph of the vehicle owner;
- Motor Vehicle Duty Certificate (Book C.191/FormC191) (Custom Card) to be submitted later for clearing.
- Documents needed for registration of a government imported used Vehicle
(i) Motor Vehicle Duty Certificate (Book C. 191/Form C. 191 (Custom Card)
(ii) Payment Schedule (Form Sale 156) (attached to Custom Card)
(iii)Certificate of Entry (Form sale 157) (attached to Custom Card)
(iv) Bill of Lading containing the Chassis Number
(v) Engine Number (to be copied out from the engine of the vehicle)
(vi) Receipt of Purchase
(vii)Terminal Delivery Order (attached to Custom Card)
(viii)Vehicle Releasing Invoice (attached to Custom Card)
(ix) Form C2010 in duplicate (One with EXCHANGE & 5 inscription and the second with Other & 7 inscription
(x) Passport photograph of the vehicle owner.
Office Locations & Contacts
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT
2nd Floor, Annex 3, New Fed. Secretariat Complex
Shehu Shagari Way, Central Area, P.M.B. 1136
Abuja Tel: 09-5237054
- DIRECTORATE OF FOOD, ROADS & RURAL INFRASTRUCTURES (DFRI)
Zone A6, Plot 2848, Off
Ibrahim Babangida Way,
Maitama, P.M.B. 150, Abuja
- FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY COMMISSION
Block 1, Kisumn Street (Old
Block 403), Off Michael
Way, Zone 2, Wuse District
P.M.B. 125, Abuja
Tel: 09-523 1857
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
(a) Standard Plate number 5,000.00
(b) Weighing Reg. 2,500.00-5,000.00
(c) Vehicle License:
- 1.0 -1.5 engine capacity - 1,000.00
- 1.6 2.0 engine capacity 1,500.00
- 2.1 3.0 engine capacity 2,000.00
- Bus (Private) 2,000.00
- Bus (Commercial) 2,500.00
- Tipper/Lorry 3,000.00
- Truck 3,000.00-5,000.00
Valid for a long time.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The process takes 21 days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The Department of Road Transport (DRT) deals with motor vehicles from the time they are manufactured or imported to the time they are disposed or exported.
Vehicle registration can be done in most DRT offices nationwide and at selected vehicle registration offices in Nigeria.
- Full name of person to be registered as Registered owner
- Date of Birth
- Permanent Address
- Temporary Address / Official Address
- Duration of stay at the present address
- Annual income
- Name and address of the Dealer or Manufacturer from whom the vehicle was purchased
- Particulars of Vehicle
- Class of vehicle
- The motor vehicle is
- A new vehicle
- Ex-army vehicle
- Imported vehicle
- Type of body
- Type of vehicle
- Maker's Name
- Month and Year of manufacture
- Number of cylinders
- Horse power
- Cubic capacity
- Maker's classification if not known, wheel base
- Chassis No. (Affix Pencil print)
- Engine Number or Motor Number in case of Battery Operated Vehicles.
- Seating capacity (including driver)
- Fuel used in the engine
Need for the Document
Vehicle registration is a requirement by the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It's purpose is to establish clear ownership and to tax motorist or vehicle owners. Almost all vehicles bears a unique vehicle identification number, but only registered ones display a vehicle registration plate and carry a vehicle registration certificate.
Following are procedures on how to register a government vehicle.
Information which might help
REGISTRATION OF RIGHT HAND STEERING VEHICLE HAD BEEN ABROGATED SINCE 1978 NOT TO BE REGISTERED IN NIGERIA.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.