Nigeria - Refund on Value Added Tax
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Fill the online VAT return Form.
- Submit the completed return online (the law requires that this is done within 15 days after the end of the month)
- Present to inland revenue Service the documents
- The system automatically sends an e-mail notification to the applicant, once the refund is ready.
- Evidence of purchase and payment of tax including a tax invoice
- Accreditation by Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs (i.e., Official diplomatic or official accreditation card issued by the Ministry responsible for Foreign Affairs)
- Completed and filed Diplomatic VAT return
- Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- Any other relevant documents to support the claim, for example, copy of the tenancy agreement or motor vehicle log book
Office Locations & Contacts
- Internal Revenue Service
The Good Shepherd House,
Block H,Plot H1,CBD,
Telephone 08059889830, 07034954595
- Any person enjoying full or limited immunity, rights or privileges under any local or international laws applicable in Nigeria or under recognized principles of international law; or
- Any Diplomatic or Consular mission of a foreign country or any public international organization established in Nigeria or listed in the first schedule to the VAT Act relating to transactions concluded for its official purposes.
- Refund is not available to citizens or permanent residents of Nigeria.
Free of charge A taxable person who fails or refuses to register with the Board within the time specified is liable to pay as a penalty of
- N10,000 for the first month in which the failure occurs; and
- N5,000 for each subsequent month in which the failure continues.
Valid for 1 year
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
14 to 30 working days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
The tax shall be charged and payable on the supply of all goods and service. The tax is computed at the rate of 5% on the value of all taxable goods and services as determined under sections 5 and 6 of Tax Act
- Applications for refund shall be made not more than once in the month
- The claim submitted will be validated against the suppliers declaration
- The system automatically sends an e-mail notification to the applicant, once the refund is ready
- Where a refund claim is rejected, the applicant will be notified on Form 118
- Approved refunds will be paid to the bank account number provided
- All tax invoices must bear the official stamp of the diplomatic or consular mission or public internal organization
- All claims must be signed by the claimant or authorized signatory
- The diplomatic or consular mission or public international organization should notify
- Tax Identification Number
- Diplomatic Identification Number of Claimant
- Bank Branch
- Account Number
Need for the Document
An Act to impose and charge Value Added Tax on certain goods and services and to provide for the administration of the tax and matters related thereto.
- Value Added Tax is an indirect tax on consumption.
- It is levied on specified goods and services which are described as taxable supplies, locally manufactured or sold and imported.
- A refund of Value Added Tax (VAT) is provided for under the VAT Act for VAT paid by Diplomats, Diplomatic Missions, Consular Missions and Public International Organization
Information which might help
- Where a taxable person fails to render returns or renders an incomplete or inaccurate returns, the Board shall assess, to the best of its judgement, the amount of tax due on the taxable goods and services purchased or supplied by the taxable person.
- There are various offences and penalties for not complying with the provisions of the VAT Law. The penalties vary from the payment of monetary fines to paying two times the amount that ought to have been paid as VAT.
Effect of non-remittance of tax
- If a taxable person does not remit the tax within the time specified in section 16 of this Act, a sum equal to five per cent per annum (plus interest at the commercial rate) of the amount of tax remittable shall be added to the tax and the provisions of this Act relating to collection and recovery of unremitted tax, penalty and interest shall apply.
- The Board should notify the taxable person or his agent of the tax due together with the penalty and interest and if payment is not made within thirty days of such notification, the Board may proceed to enforce payment as provided in section 16 of this Act.
- The most severe offence appears to be the failure to collect tax by a taxable person. The penalty is a fine equivalent to 150% of the uncollected tax plus a 5% interest surcharge above the Central Bank of Nigeria rediscount rate. Terms of imprisonment include 3years for tax evasion, 6months imprisonment with a fine for resisting, hindering or obstructing the VAT administration, etc.
For more information on VAT administration in Nigeria, please consult your Tax Adviser or FIRS General Tax Guide for Tax Administration & Practitioners or the nearest VAT office.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.