Nigeria - Obtain police clearance certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Applying process in Nigeria for citizen and non-citizen.
- a. Apply in-person
- Applicant shall apply in-person at “Central Criminal Registry”.
- Contact link : link
- Address :
Central Criminal Registry Force C.I.D. Annex
Alagbon Close Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Application form can be obtained from the following link : Application Form
- Applicant shall go to the respective office. Don’t forget to take the required copy of documents along with originals to the office.
- Please follow as per authorities guidelines and submit the completed application along with documents. Applicant should pay for any charges if required as advised.
- This application will be processed by respective department.
- The certificate can be collected from the office where applicant applied in-person upon notification or issued as per norms.
Applying process – overseas for citizen and non-citizen
- a. Apply through mail(post)
- Applicant has to apply through mail (post) with the “Commissioner of Police”.
- Contact link : link
- Please attach the completed application, required document and fee paid details.
- Mail(post) these set of documents to:
Commissioner of Police,
The Public Relations Officer Zone 7
Police Command, Headquarters Wuse,
- This application received will be processed by respective department.
- The certificate will be delivered to the applicant as per norms.
- Valid identity document (identity card, passport, driving license).
- Valid passport.
- Citizen proof/Document of National Identity (DNI).
- A copy of your passport while living in Nigeria.
- A copy of your permit of stay in Nigeria, passport number and place of issue as well.
- Proofs of legal stay (copy of passport held during the said period with respective stamp and seal).
- Application form
- Valid citizen proof with photo (respective ID’s issued by respective nation).
- Email ID (useful to communicate issues with respect to your application)
- A self-addressed envelope with or without stamps (as required).
- Valid contact number (applicant can be communicated)
- Passport-size photos.
- Birth certificate (as per requirement).
- Full set of fingerprints taken by the police in your country of current residence.
Office Locations & Contacts
Central Criminal Registry Force C.I.D. Annex,
Alagbon Close Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria.
Contact details: link
- Applicant with valid passport and a valid address proof.
- Age: 16 years and above. In case of minors, the application must be submitted by the parent exercising parental authority, if the minor has not turned 16 years.
- The current address of the applicant must be same as in the passport and other supporting documents.
- Applicants who are in need of residential status, employment or long term visa or for immigration to a foreign nation.
- Fee/charge varies for case to case. Updated fee requirement will be provided by respective authorities while applying.
Validity norms vary from country to country.
Documents to Use
Police Report Form CRO Form 21A: http://www.nigeriacrb.com/Police%20Report%20Form.pdf
Police Character Certificate specimen: https://www.fingerprintexpert.in/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Nigeria.jpg
Processing time varies with respect to the country from where applied.
- You should apply in person with your valid passport, two passport photographs and the applicable fees.
- Residents of Nigeria should apply to Central Criminal Registry.
- Applicants should apply by courier to the Commissioner of Police at the address below,
- Central Criminal Registry Force C.I.D. Annex
- Alagbon Close Ikoyi
- Lagos, Nigeria
- Applicants should provide
- a pre-paid return courier envelope,
- a copy of their passport (bio data page and entry and departure stamps from Nigeria, and Nigerian visas or evidence of lawful stay if you are not a Nigerian national)
- Set of fingerprints taken and certified by a recognized police authority or the Nigerian embassy or consulate.
- An international money order payable to the Nigerian Police Force, CID.
- Police certificates may be certified at the nearest Nigerian embassy or consulate for a fee.
- Place of Birth
- Year of Birth
- Attach Passport photo
- Reasons for inquiry
- Applicant’s signature
- Plain impression prints of Thumb and other four fingers.
Need for the Document
The Police Character Certificate certifies that the applicant has never partaken in any criminal activity that led to the involvement of the Nigerian Police Force.
The Police Character Certificate is also required when a person applies for an immigration status to other countries.
Information which might help
A Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) is issued by the Nigerian Police Force. In Nigeria, the criminal record information is maintained at the Criminal Investigation Department, Nigerian Police Force.
The PCC Certifying that the applicant has never partaken in any criminal activity that led to the involvement of the (Nigerian Police Force) and is also required when a person applies for an immigration status to other countries.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- This clearance is needed by those who want to change country of residence.
- You may be mandated to get police clearance certificate if you want to occupy a sensitive position in Nigeria, though simply called police attestation.
- You may also need to upload a Police character certificate, if you are to proceed on a post graduate programme in foreign institutions.
- Even as a tourist to another country, you will need police character certificate. to show that you don’t have outstanding criminal record back home, and ensure that you won’t be a threat to your host country.
Gateway Nigeria : http://gateway.ng/
Nigeria Police Force character clearance application : http://npf.gov.ng/character/
A Nigeria Police Clearance Certificate (also known as: certificate of good conduct) is a document issued at the Nigeria Police Headquarters, by the Nigeria Police Force; detailing statement of criminal history of an individual (recorded) in the Nigeria criminal database
Using the Gateway allow you to be able to track your application and even download a scanned copy.