Nigeria - Obtain a Student Pilot Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Obtaining a student pilot certificate authorizing solo flight requires 4 steps
- Step1 Applicants must be between the ages of 17 and 22 years for non-tradesmen/women, 17 and 24 years for tradesmen/women older (17 years for gliders and balloons) and must be single.
- Step 2 pass a flight physical administered by an aviation medical examiner (for powered aircraft only, excluding gliders and balloons)Minimum height is 1.68 meters or 5.5ft for males and 1.65m or 5.4ft for females.
- Step 3 receive ground and flight instruction
- Step 4 earn an endorsement from a certificated flight instructor
- Step 5 All applicants must be medically fit and meet the Nigerian medical and employment standards.
If you are in good health and ready to obtain your Medical Certificate, schedule an appointment, and fill out your application before going to see the doctor. Be truthful on this application, especially in the area of alcohol related driving offenses. The NCAA can and will check your answers against the National Driver Register database. Falsification of facts can lead to fines and revocation of certificates.
At some point in the process, you will be asked about the Class of medical you would like to apply for. You should plan to obtain the class of medical certificate required, for the certificate level you ultimately want.
This will tell you if you are medically qualified for that certificate. Finding this out now is better than waiting until you have already spent thousands of Nairas on training for a certificate that you ultimately may not be able to use in future.
- Must possess a valid medical certificate.
- valid third-class medical certificate or a valid drivers license.
- a knowledge test
- a sport pilot certificate.
.Applicantswill be required to present following documents if selected for the zonal recruitment test:
- Two recent passport size photographs to be stamped and countersigned by officer of appropriate rank specified,
- Local Government Chairmen/Secretaries and other specified officers
- 8.Photocopies of:
- Birth Certificate/Declaration of Age.
- Educational/ Trade Certificates.
Office Locations & Contacts
- The Chairman, Regulations Committee
- Director General
- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority
Murtala Muhammed International Airport
P.M.B. 21029, 21038 Ikeja, Lagos.
- Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA)
- Corporate Headquarters
Nnamdi Azikiwe Intl Airport,
Domestic Wing Abuja.
Tel: +234(1) 7610043, +234(1) 7610044
- Lagos Office
- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA)
- AVIATION HOUSE
Murtala Muhammed Airport, PMB 21029,
Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria.
Tel: +234 (1) 4721521
You are eligible if:
- You are at least 18 years old. If you plan to pilot a glider or balloon, you must be at least 21 years old.
- You can read, speak, and understand English
- You hold at least a current third-class medical certificate. If you plan to pilot a glider or balloon, you only have to certify that you have no medical defect that would make you unable to pilot a glider or balloon.
Before you can fly solo. You don't need a student pilot certificate to take flying lessons.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
A student pilot certificate expires 24 calendar months from the month in which it is issued. A third class medical certificate expires:
- If under age 40 on the date of examination, at the end of the last day of the 60th month after the month after the date of examination.
- If age 40 or older on the date of examination, at the end of the last day of the 24th month after the month after the date of examination.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time is 3 months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A student pilot certificate are not transferred to the new certificate. Keep the old certificate as a record of these endorsements.
- A computerized aeronautical knowledge test
- Accumulate and log a specified amount of training and experience document.
- A third class medical certificate.
- A computerized aeronautical knowledge test
- A Record of hours of flight time experience
- A record of Pass an oral test and flight test administered by an NCAA inspector.
- A flight instructor certificate; .
Need for the Document
A student pilot certificate is issued to a pilot in training, and is a pre-requisite for the student to fly alone in the aircraft, or solo. It is usually initially issued by a medical doctor who is also an authorized aviation medical examiner, in conjunction with the student's first medical certificate.
The doctor will issue a combination medical and student pilot certificate if the applicant meets the medical standards, and the flight instructor will later endorse the certificate when the student meets various training endorsement requirements (including the requirements for solo flight).
You will need a Student Pilot Certificate before your first solo; that wondrous time when your instructor has enough confidence in your ability to get out of the airplane and send you off by yourself. You can obtain the certificate at any time prior to the solo.
Information which might help
If you have any condition that may be medically disqualifying or could slow your medical approval, do not visit your Air Medical Examiner before meeting with and discussing your options with someone like the Flight School Manager,. Alternatively, you can contact a resource like the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association in your Area to discuss your situation. You can get a free 6 month membership as a Student Pilot. They have experts available to help find your best route for success in the medical certification process.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.