Nigeria - Obtain a Sport Pilot Certificate
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- Steps to obtain a Sport Pilot License to Fly LSA
Step I: Start ground and/or flight training from a Certified Flight Instructor with sport rating (CFIS), or a regular Certified Flight Instructor (CFI).
Step II: Obtain student pilot certificate to solo from a Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE), local NCAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), or from an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) while obtaining a third-class medical.
- To solo, have CFI or CFIS train per Part 61 requirements and take an exam on aircraft specifics and airport procedures/regulations.
- The instructor then endorses Student Pilot certificate for make/model and provides appropriate logbook endorsements/limitations to solo.
Step III: Receive endorsements to take knowledge test (this can be through home study or from a CFI or CFIS.
Step IV: Pass FAA knowledge exam (computer based). (Typically known as written test)
Step V : Meet the knowledge and flight proficiency requirements from a CFI or CFIS which includes 15 hour dual (10 hours for PPC) and 5 hours solo (2 hours for PPC) solo for airplane and weight-shift control trike light-sport aircraft.
Step VI: Receive and log 2 hours flight training 2 months before checkride (practical test) in preparation for checkride and obtain endorsements for practical test (checkride) from CFIS or CFI on form 8710-11.
- Pass the checkride (practical test) with a Designated Pilot Examiner for Sport Pilots DPE/SPE based on the Practical Test Standards.
- Receive Sport Pilot Certificate and logbook endorsements to fly specific category/class of LSA.
- Must possess a valid medical certificate.
- valid third-class medical certificate or a valid drivers license.
- a knowledge test
- a sport pilot certificate.
- Applicants will be required to present following documents if selected for the zonal recruitment test:
- Two recent passport size photographs to be stamped and countersigned by officer of appropriate rank specified,
- Local Government Chairmen/Secretaries and other specified officers
- Photocopies of:
- Birth Certificate/Declaration of Age.
- Educational/ Trade Certificates.
Office Locations & Contacts
- The Chairman, Regulations Committee
- Director General
- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority
Murtala Muhammed International Airport
P.M.B. 21029, 21038 Ikeja, Lagos.
- Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA)
- Corporate Headquarters
Nnamdi Azikiwe Intl Airport,
Domestic Wing Abuja.
Tel: +234(1) 7610043, +234(1) 7610044
- Lagos Office
- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA)
- AVIATION HOUSE
Murtala Muhammed Airport, PMB 21029,
Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria.
Tel: +234 (1) 4721521
You are eligible if:
- You are at least 18 years old. If you plan to pilot a glider or balloon, you must be at least 21 years old.
- You can read, speak, and understand English
- You hold at least a current third-class medical certificate or hold a current and valid Nigerian driver's license for operations in light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon.
- If you plan to pilot a glider or balloon, you only have to certify that you have no medical defect that would make you unable to pilot a glider or balloon.
- Expect to spend about $100 an hour to rent the training airplane, including fuel. You will only being billed for the time that the engine is running. Your instructor will also charge about $30 to $40 an hour for his time.
- A pilot who is exercising sport pilot privileges may share the operating expenses of a flight with a passenger, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenses, or aircraft rental fees.
- A sport pilot must pay at least half the operating expenses of the flight. Additionally, the privileges and limitations for the sport pilot certificate,
- Finally, budget another $500 to $1,000 for training materials, exam fees, an aviation headset, and other necessary supplies and equipment (those cool bomber jackets arent cheap!). Expect to spend around $4,000 to $5,000 for everything you will need for your flight training as a Sport Pilot.
A sport pilot certificate expires 24 calendar months from the month in which it is issued.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time is 3 months
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A sport pilot certificate are not transferred to the new certificate. Keep the old certificate as a record of these endorsements
- A computerized aeronautical knowledge test
- Accumulate and log a specified amount of training and experience document.
- A third class medical certificate.
- A computerized aeronautical knowledge test
- A Record of hours of flight time experience
- A record of Pass an oral test and flight test administered by an NCAA inspector.
- A flight instructor certificate;
- Other requirements
Training requirements for a sport pilot certificate with airplane category
A minimum of 20 hours flight time including:
- 15 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor.
- 5 hours solo flight.
Flight training must include at least:
- 2 hours cross-country flight training.
- 10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop.
- One solo cross-country flight of at least 75 nautical miles total distance with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points and :*one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between takeoff and landing locations.
- 3 hours flight training in preparation for the practical test.
- Ground training from an instructor or home-study course.
- NCAA knowledge test on applicable aeronautical knowledge areas.
- NCAA practical test for the applicable light-sport aircraft privilege.
- Sport pilot certificates will be issued without category/class designation logbook endorsement will be provided for category and class
Need for the Document
Getting the Sport Pilot License is amazingly quick and easy. If you are an aviation enthusiast seeking your first pilot certificate, the sport pilot certificate provides one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to fly for fun and recreation.
You can think of it as a sort of middle-ground between becoming an ultralight pilot and a full-fledged private pilot.Sport Pilots are restricted to smaller two seat aircraft.
Unlike ultralight pilots, sport pilots can carry a passenger and operate in certain types of controlled airspace, for example, but they may not fly at night and are limited to lighter and lowered-powered aircraft than those available to private pilots.
While a private pilot certificate requires a minimum of 35 or 40 hours of training time (depending on the curriculum), those requirements are much less for sport pilots.
Information which might help
The sports license is perfect for the person who yearns to touch the sky, but cannot afford to spend $10,000 on a Private Pilot License. A Sport Pilot license is also great for people who hold a drivers license, but realize that they cannot pass the aviation medical exam required for Private Pilots. Finally, its for people whose main goal is to get up in the air and have fun, not to travel great distances in the shortest amount of time or carry more than one additional passenger.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.