Nigeria - Obtain a Gun license
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
(1) Make an application to the Commissioner of Police in your State of residence.
(2) The police will issue you with an application form that will require your bio-data.
Some of the pertinent information required are:
- (i) Your full names
- (ii) Address
- (iii) Reasons for applying for the license
- (iv) Date of Birth. Note here that guns are not issued to persons below thirty-five (35) years of age.
(3) Further required to accompany the application form is a medical report that confirms that the applicants sanity is normal.
(4) Another medical report is also required on the applicants chest. This is to protect the applicant from the sharp retraction that occurs when a gun is fired.
(5) Four (4) clear passport photograph of the applicant is also required.
(6) On obtaining your gun from the nearest gun dealer, prices vary depending on area of purchase; the police should normally register the serial number of the weapon.
(7) Upon a satisfactory appraisal of the application the license is issued in a booklet form, bearing one of the passport photographs of the applicant and carrying the stamp of the state police headquarters.
N.B. Gun licenses are subject to renewal every year for a token fee of five hundred naira (N500.00) only..
- A licence shall, unless forfeited, remain in operation until the 31st December of the year in which it was granted.
- A licence or permit may be renewed by endorsement thereon at the discretion of the licensing authority who issued the original licence or permit, on payment of the prescribed fee, if any.
- The Inspector-General of Police shall maintain in the prescribed form a register of firearms and licences to bear the same issued in each licensing area.
- The Inspector-General of Police may issue permits for the withdrawal from an armoury of a firearm or the purchase or withdrawal from an armoury of ammunition.
- A permit issued under the regulation shall be valid for a period of sixty days only from the date of issue.
- 4 Passport sized photographs
- Attested copy of address proof: Ration Card, Voter Identity Card, Passport, Electricity/ Water/Telephone Bill, Driving Licence, Property (House) Tax, Tax Return, National identification Card
- Attested copy of date of birth: Police clearance Certificate, Birth certificate, Affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating date and place of birth by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants.
Office Locations & Contacts
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
Opp. Agura Hotel, P.M.B. 196, Area 7
Tel: 09-2340532; 2340533
- NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE
P.M.B. 56, Abuja, Area 10,
Tel: 09-2343081; 2340756
- Civil Defence, Immigration and Prisons Services Board, Gwagwalada
Address: Federal Secretariat, Gwagwalada, P.M.B. 95, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 8821335-6
- Customs, Immigration and Prisons Pension Office (CIPPO)
Address: Federal Secretariat, Gwagwalada, P.M.B. 306, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9
- Federal Fire Service
Address: National Headquarters, Area 10, Mohammadu Buhari Way, P.M.B. 43, Garki, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 2341399, 2341299
- Nigeria Immigration Services (NIS)
Address: NIS Headquarters, Sauka, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Road, P.M.B. 38, Abuja, FCT.
Phone: +234 9 2341934-6, 2341875
- Nigerian Police Force (NPF) - Force Headquarters
Address: Force Headquarters, Lious Edet House, Shehu Shagari Way, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 2343081; 2340756, 2346559, 2341811
- Nigeria Prisons Service (NPS)
Address: Block G, Federal Secretariat, Area 1, P.M.B. 16, Garki, Abuja, FCT.
Phone: +234 9 2341709
- Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC)
Address: National Headquarters, Plot V921, Cadestrial Zone A2, Wuse, Zone 5, Abuja.
Phone: +234 9 2341402
Applicant must be Eighteen years (18) years or older.
- Clean criminal record
- Doctor's certificate that certifies physical and mental fitness
- Shotgun $150.00
- Rifle $1000.00
valid for for 60 days then after renewal it can be valid for 1- 2 years and a renewal is required.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
processing takes between 6 months to one year.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- No person shall have in his possession or under his control any firearm of one of the categories specified as prohibited fire armsin Part I of the Schedule hereto (hereinafter referred to as a prohibited firearm) except in accordance with a license granted by the President acting in his discretion.
- No person shall have in his possession or under his firearms control any firearm of one of the categories specified as personal fire arm (hereinafter referred to as a personal firearm) except in accordance with a license granted in respect thereof by the Inspector-General of Police, which licenses shall be granted or refused in accord-ance with principles decided upon by the National Council of Ministers.
- No person shall within Lagos have in his possession or under his control a muzzle-loading firearm without a licence from the Inspector-General of Police.
- No person shall, as of right, be entitled to the grant of any licence or permit under fire arm Act and the authority having the function of granting such licence or permit may without being bound to assign any reason therefor refuse the grant of such licence or permit or, subject to the provisions of any regulations made under section 33 of the fire arm Act, may impose such terms or conditions as he may think fit, and may revoke such licence or permit for such cause as he may consider appropriate:
- No person shall have in his possession or under his control any ammunition in respect of any firearm referred to in the Schedule to this Act except in accordance with the terms of a licence or permit granted to him and in force in respect of such firearm.
- No person shall by way of trade or business buy or sell or transfer or expose for sale or transfer or have in his possession for sale or transfer any firearm unless he is registered as a firearms dealer.
- Personal Information
- Occupation/Employment Information
- Particulars of Firearm
- Spousal Information
- Next of Kin
- Particulars of Applicant
Need for the Document
A firearms license (also known as a gun license) is a license or permit issued by some governments (typically by the police) of a country (or state or municipality thereof), that allows the licensee to buy, own, possess, and use firearms, often subject to a number of conditions or restrictions, especially with regards to storage requirements or the completion of a firearms safety course, as well as background checks, etc. The following are the procedures for applying for Gun or Firearms License in Nigeria.
In Nigeria,ammunition" means ammunition for any firearm and any component part of any such ammunition, but does not include gun powder or trade powder not intended or used as such a component part; private gun licenses are issued primarily for sporting.
Shooting as a sport has two distinct forms: target-shooting on a range, and shooting to kill a game, sometimes called gaming. Other purposes could include the use of firearms for traditional festivities and celebrations, and in such instances, blank cartridges are used. Self- defense is never a reason for applying for a private gun license.
The primary objective of gun control is to reduce the criminal use of guns as much as possible without interfering with legal gun use. This is the intendment of the Firearms Act, Cap F28, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.
Gun control laws prohibit perennial alcoholics, drug addicts, mentally unbalanced persons or persons with criminal records from owning guns or obtaining a gun license.
Private gun license is also limited to shotguns, as revolvers and pistols are only issued to the police and armed forces personnel.
Common gaming guns are:
(i) The double barrel gun: these are shotguns with two barrels capable of being fired in quick succession.
(ii) The single barrel gun: It sometimes has double rounds.
Do you want to obtain a gun license?
Information which might help
- For the purpose of this procedure the Inspector-General of Police shall cause to be kept a register or registers of firearms dealers and shall upon due application enter therein the name of any person applying to be registered and each place where such person carries on business as such dealer:
Provided that no registration shall take place, and a registration which has taken place shall be cancelled-
(a)if the officer in charge of the register is satisfied that the applicant cannot be permitted to carry on business as a firearms dealer without danger to the public safety or the peace;
(b)in respect of any premises which do not comply with the requirements prescribed by regulations made under section 33 of this Act.
- The President may without being bound to assign any reason therefor direct that registration in accordance with fir arm Act section shall not take place in respect of any person or persons, or in respect of any pl
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
Place some external links which might help.
More information which might help people.