Nigeria - Obtain Motor Insurance
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- In person
- Contact any motor broker and let them assess your motor insurance cover needs before they can refer you to the appropriate insurance provider
- Complete the proposal form
- Provide the necessary supporting documents
- Conduct a valuation of the vehicle
- Carefully read and understand the policy document
- Sign the policy document
- National identity card
- Motor vehicle log book
Office Locations & Contacts
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT
2nd Floor, Annex 3, New Fed.
Shehu Shagari Way, Central Area, P.M.B. 1136
Abuja Tel: 09-5237054
- NATIONAL AUTOMOTIVE COUNCIL
4,Okene Street, Area 2,
Section 2, P.M.B. 320,
- NIGERIA DEPOSIT INSURANCE CORPORATION (NDIC)
447/448, Central Business
District, (Along Airport
Road), P.M.B. 284, Abuja
Tel: 09-5237710-2 1
- NIGERIAN REINSURANCE CORP.
N4 17 UAC Commercial
Complex Plot 272 & 273,
Central Area, P.M.B. 292
Tel: 09-523674 1; 5234213
- NIGERIAN SOCIAL INSURANCE TRUST FUND
Behind Nigeria Export Import
Bank, Muhammadu Buhari
Way, P.M.B. 446, Garki,
Every motor vehicle operated on Nigerian roads must be insured.
- Third Party policy is N5000=
- The rate of Comprehensive Motor Insurance depends on the value and type of car insured
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Less than 30 minutes
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- It is important for you to understand that by taking a motor insurance, you are transferring the risk from yourself to the motor insurance company
- There are three distinct types of motor insurance cover that you should know. Third party- covers third party body injury and property damages that might occur in an accident.
- The comprehensive cover- covers third party and second party but does not cover first party and family. Owner and the family members are required to take personal accident cover.
- Comprehensive motor insurance provides cover for damages caused by other incidents in addition to the damages to the car as a result of accidents.
Third party fire & theft covers theft in addition to covering third party liability
- Proof of identity
- Proof of vehicle ownership .
Need for the Document
In Nigeria, it is compulsory to have motor insurance before using or keeping a motor vehicle on public roads.
Motor insurance (also known as auto insurance, car insurance or vehicle insurance) is insurance purchased for cars, trucks, motorcycles and other road vehicles. Its primary use is to provide financial protection against physical damage and/or bodily injury resulting from traffic collisions and against liability that could also arise there from.
The law requires all motor vehicles to be insured in Nigeria, and the insurance is supposed to cover against financial loss, theft, damages, and third party liabilities.
Motor insurance policy is a mandatory policy issued by an insurance company as part of prevention of public liability to protect the general public from any accident that might take place on the road. The law mandates that every owner of a motor vehicle must have one motor insurance policy. It is one of the 13insurance policies that have been made mandatory by the National Insurance Commission, NAICOM, the insurance regulatory body in Nigeria. The law specifies appropriate punishment for non-compliance by vehicle owners.
Information which might help
All general insurance companies registered by NAICOM are authorized to issue a motor insurance policy. Third Party Motor policy can be bought from insurance companies and licensing offices.
Comprehensive car insurance is optional and most people decide not to purchase this in order to minimize premium cost.
However, one needs to consider all options and risks he/she is facing using the car before deciding whether to get a comprehensive cover or not, particularly if one is using the vehicle in an area that is prone to vandalism, theft and high repair costs.
Note that the claim you can make on an auto insurance policy is limited.
So, find out the limit to the loss the insurance policy covers before subscribing.
For example, an auto insurance policy may only cover loss up to a certain amount say N1,000,000. This means that if the vehicle you damaged is worth more than that, the insurance company will only provide N1,000,000.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Can be used to provide proof to motor vehicle ownership
If your car is involved in an accident, remember not to admit at the scene that it was your fault because this could make your policy invalid. Exchange names and other details with the other drivers and get details of any independent witnesses. If someone refuses to give you his/her details, your insurer may be able to trace them through the persons vehicle registration number.
Tell your insurer about the accident straight away, even if you dont want to make a claim. If someone is injured, show your insurance certificate or cover note to the Police. If you cant do this at the scene of the accident, take the documents to the Police Station.
Take photographs that you may be able to later use as evidence if you need to make a claim. Get a claims form from your insurer or write to the other driver or his insurer, giving details of the accident and the other drivers policy number.
Also, you should not get your car repaired without your insurers permission since they may want to send someone to inspect it and you may have to use an approved repairer.