Nigeria - Change of a Business Name
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
The following procedure shall apply with respect to change of Business name:
a) Before filing any application for change of name at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) the company shall:
- i) Submit to the Commission an extract of board resolution as to the decision to change the business name;
- ii) Submit to the Commission the proposed name for no objection certification; and
- iii) Pay the appropriate fee as determined by the Commission.
b) Upon securing a new name from the CAC the company shall:
- i) Submit to the Commission certified copy of certificate of change of name;
- ii) Publish the change of name in at least two widely read national newspapers; and
- iii) Surrender certificate earlier issued by the Commission bearing he former name(s).
- Your identity document like driver's license, passport, etc
- Proof of physical address and postal address, with contact numbers.
- Proof of employment
- an extract of board resolution as to the decision to change the business name;
Office Locations & Contacts
- Corporate Affairs Commission
Plot 420, Tigris Crescent,
Off Aguiyi Ironsi Street,
P.M.B 198, Garki, Abuja-Nigeria.
Customer Service: +234-818-229-8833
Public Affairs: +234-808-282-4188
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF COMMERCE & TOURISM
Old Secretariat Area I, Block G & H
P.M.B. 88, Garki, Abuja
Tel: 09-2341689; 2341491
All individual above 18 years of age who wish to change a business name in Nigeria are Eligible. For a business to be eligible for a name change its directors should have made a Resolution stating the change desired.
NGN 10,000 for business name change.
The document is valid for long period of time.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
To process a change of business name in Nigeria it takes less than 30 days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- Entrepreneurs must have registered a company name at the corporate Affairs commission in Nigeria
- You should have a certificate from an Authorized Bank branch.
- The founder must submits the company documents
- You should pay Fees for company establishment.
- You must have been registered for taxes.
- You need a certificate of incorporation from an co-prate Affairs Commision.
- You need information on documents to the Department of Companies and how to obtain invoice
- Notarize companys contract information
- Obtain the notification of incorporation
- Registration for taxes
- Registration of employees with the National Social security Insurance.
Need for the Document
Changing a business name is a costly and disruptive process, especially for established businesses.
You cant just start calling it something different. Print and online marketing materials and bank accounts will have to change, websites adjusted, domain names registered, email addresses updated, and so on.
So before you take the leap, familiarize yourself with these steps in this procedure . Most of them are required by law, but others are simply good business practice.
Information which might help
In addition to updating your marketing material, developing a plan to notify customers and Building your new brand, you should also revisit and update business loan paperwork, lease documents, bank accounts, etc., that will all need to reflect your name change.
Generally, sole proprietors, corporations, and partnerships dont need a new Employer Identification card. if they change their business name.
However, there are certain situations where these entities may need to obtain a new Employers identification card, like if a partnership incorporates or one partner takes over as a sole proprietor. Likewise, if a sole proprietor incorporates or takes on a partnership, a new Employers identification Number is needed.
- Change of Name
1. In changing a Company's name, the objects or the share capital, the annual returns must have been filed up to date.
2. Late filing attracts penalty
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.