Nigeria - Cancellation of registration with Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Application for the Registration of Nigerian Ships are made to the Registrar of Shipping in Lagos. Nigeria does not operate an open registry and therefore a Nigerian Consul is not permitted to accept registration documents and cannot issue certificates. However, the Registrar may temporarily accept facsimile copies of documents supporting an application for registration but it is assumed that the originals will follow shortly thereafter in order for the vessel to be registered.
The Nigerian Registry of Ships makes a distinction between provisional and permanent registration. Provision Registration may be granted to a ship to enable it to sail and operate within territorial waters, pending the issuance of a permanent certificate of registration.
If the application is made by an individual owner he will be required to submit the following documents in addition:
- Declaration of an individual owner or transferee;
- Particulars of citizenship;
- Personal Income Tax Clearance Certificate;
Upon completion and submission of the above mentioned forms and the accompanying documents, the Registrar of Ships shall assess and advice on the statutory fees for cancellation of registration of the vessel.
- Log book of the ship to be inspected by the Registrar of ships.
- Evidence of financial resources sufficient for operation and maintenance of the ship
- Vessel class certificate.
- Proof of Payment of Registration fees.
- Deletion certificate.
- Call sign certificate
- Load line certificate
- Bill of sale/Builders certificate (evidence of title)
- Class certificate
- Plan/specific approval of the new building.
- Applicant certificate of incorporation
- Applicant current company form CO7 with a share capital of N25 Million.
- Applicant memorandum and Articles of Association.
- Applicant tax clearance certificate.
- Vessel's insurance policy.
- Bank reference letter
- Picture of the Vessel showing hull and deck
Office Locations & Contacts
- NIMASA Head Office
4, Burma Road, Apapa
PABX: 5804800 - 4 Tel: 01 453 1466
- OTHER OFFICES
- ABUJA OFFICE
2 River Benue Street,
Off Ibrahim Babangida Way,
Maitama, Abuja, FCT.
- WESTERN ZONE OPERATIONS
Western Zone Office
88, Marine Road,
Tin-Can Island Port Office
NPA Commercial Building,
- Apapa Port Office
2, Wharf Road,
- Search & Rescue Base Clinic (SARBC)
3, Azare Crescent,Apapa GRA,
- All Ship Owners in Nigeria are eligible to apply for Ship cancellation if the shipowner have registered with Nigerian Maritime administration and safety Agency in Nigeria.
- For a ship under 600 tonnes N500.00
- For a ship 600 tonne s but under 1,600 N500.00
- For a ship 1,600 tonnes but under 3,000 N500.00
- For a ship 3,000 tonnes but under 5,000 N500.00
- For a ship 5,000 tonnes but under 6,000 N500.00
- For a ship 6,000 tonne s but under 10,000 N500.00
- For a ship 10,000 tonnes but under 20,000 N500.0
Cancelled id valid until a new certificate is issued.
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing takes 30 working days
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
If Ship Appears to be registered also in a foreign country then it should be cancelled if the ship Ceases to comply with the requirements for qualification to own Nigerian ships under Merchant Shipping Act 2007. If the the ship Appears to be lost, abandoned or broken up then it should be cancelled.
- Vessel Age;
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate of the Company and its Director/s
- Survey Report Indicating Condition of Ship
- Copies of all Statutory Certificates
- Classification /Society Certificate
- Charter Party
- Provisional Registration Certification
- Certificate of Build for newly Built Ships
- Corporate Applicant must submit Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Names and address of the Charterer's Shareholders.
Need for the Document
Under the Merchant Shipping Act 2007, the Registrar shall cancel the registration of a ship registered in Nigeria at any time the ship:
- Appears to be registered also in a foreign country
- Ceases to comply with the requirements for qualification to own Nigerian ships under Merchant Shipping Act 2007
- Appears to be lost, abandoned or broken up
The owner may also apply for the cancellation of registry of the ship supported with the following documents:
- Board Resolution authorizing the cancellation
- Return of certificate of registry
- Evidence of payment of official fees for issuance of certificate of cancellation
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.