Nigeria - Applying for Animal Registration permit (local animal movement permit)
- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
- The person intending to transport the animals writes to the State or Local Government district veterinary officer requesting for inspection of the animals.
- The person fills a form for transporting animals from one district to another.
- The person then pays the required fees for inspection
- The Local Government district veterinary officer then schedules for inspection of the animals and animal products.
- Upon satisfaction the district veterinary officer then issues an animal registration permit
- A formal letter from the animal owner requesting for a permit.
- A certified copy of the animal owners passport or identification document
- Current Health Certificate from a Veterinary doctor from any local district
- A vaccination card of the animal signed by a Veterinary doctor
Office Locations & Contacts
- FEDERAL MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Fed. Capital Territory Office
Complex Block A, Area 11 (Eleven)
P.M.B. 135, Garki, Abuja, FCT
- The Director
Federal Department livestock and pest control services.
Telephone: 09532 1376 0803 4549
- Head Office
No. 8, Zambezi Crescent, Maitama District,
PMB 433, Garki PO, Abuja.
Official website: http//www//vcn.gov.ng
E-mail: email@example.com; Registrar@vcng.org
Tel: 09-4132005, 4135975, 4132253.
- Zonal Offices
South West Zonal Office,
Veterinary Hospital Complex, Makola, Ibadan.
Officer: Dr Adetola Olamide ADEDEJI,
Phone: 08023169692; 080551134693;
- South East Zonal Office, State Veterinary Hospital,
By FirstBank, Ziks Avenue, Uwani, Enugu.
Officer: Dr. Sarah Chinonyerem ANYANWU,
- South South Zonal Office,
c/o Department of Veterinary Services,
Ministry of Agriculture & Natural Resources HQs, Schools-Lands Complex,
Rumuodoniaya, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Officer: Dr Helen Ego CHIME,
Phone: 08035887723; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- North Central Zonal Office,
c/o Department of Veterinary Services,
Ministry of Agriculture & Natural Resources HQs, Lafia, Nasarawa State.
Officer: Dr John GARBA,
- North West Zonal Office,
c/o Department of Veterinary Services, Ministry of Animal Health and Fisheries Development, Kaduna.
Officer: Dr Mahmud Abdulllahi SAULAWA
- North East Zonal Veterinary Office,
c/o Ministry of Animal Health and Fisheries Development, Gombe.
Officer: Dr Yakubu Ahmadu GLAJI
All citizen of Nigeria who wish to move their animal from one region to another are suppose to have a local movement permit issued with such certificate by inspectors of Veterinary Department of a State or Local Government..
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
This document is valid for 3 months and six months
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Processing time is one day or 5 depending on the complex of the matter.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites. Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation. Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtube width = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed. e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
- The animal registration certificate is issued by the district Local Government Veterinary officer after inspecting the animals.
- The person transporting animals shall pay all the necessary fees before transporting the animals.
- The veterinary officer has the right to deny a certificate if the person transporting the animals does not fulfill all necessary requirements.
- The animal must be from any disease before transporting them to another region.
- The person transporting the animal must confirm that is the owner of the animal.
- The animal current health background information of the animal stating the condition of the animal.
- The detailed letter why the owner is requesting for a permit to transport the animal.
- The identification document of the owner of the animal.
- The vaccination card of the animal signed by the district Veterinary doctor.
Need for the Document
The main function of animal movement protection is to fulfill the requirement of animal protein through proper management and planned development, increase sociology-economic conditions of animals.
- The animal should be accompanied by the certificate of a veterinary surgeon, signed not more than five days prior to the date of departure from the one place of origin, certifying that the animal is free from clinical symptoms of any contagious or infectious disease.
(i) The animal is accompanied by a valid Rabies vaccination certificate stating-
- a)The type, manufacturer and Batch No. of the vaccine;
- b)The apparent age of the animal at the time of vaccination;
- c)The date of vaccination
The Veterinary Council of Nigeria (VCN) is essentially a quality assurance organ of the Federal Republic of Nigeria established through the Veterinary Surgeons Act Cap V3 LFN, 2004 as amended. It is a Parastatal of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources created for the sole purpose of regulating the Standard of training and practice of the Veterinary Profession in the country
Information which might help
- All animals brought to market for sale must be certified fit for human consumption and issued with such certificate by inspectors of Veterinary Department of a State or Local Government.
- No person us allowed to move about with livestock from place to place within the boundaries of the Federation of Nigeria for the purposes of Restriction of gratuitous movement.
- No person is allowed to operate a commercial ranch without having the Permits premises inspected and given a permit by a State or the Local Government.
The Permit seeks to modernize the techniques of production, rearing and breeding of Livestock and domestic animals in Nigeria, prevent the gratuitous movement of animals from place to place, maltreating the animals and exposing them to hazardous environment;
- prevent the transmission of animal diseases from community to community;
- ensure healthy livestock production and to satisfy the dairy needs for all Nigerians;
- prevent clashes between livestock breeders and crop farmers in the country;
- and generate revenue through permits granted individuals or corporate concerns to operate commercial ranches in Nigeria.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate. e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.